Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Interacting with students with a "quiet" voice

I have several students that are very quiet with such a low volume that it is difficult to hear their answers. I don't want to keep embarassing them by always asking them to speak louder. Any suggestions?

this is a hard one, for I too have a few students who talk in a low volume, what I try and do is get a little closer to where I can hear and will repeat what they have said to make sure I am hearing clearly hope this helps

I have the same problom I just make a joke about being old and they need to speak a little louder

I have applied the same technique but it doesn' t always work.  I try to move my students around and engage them with different students so that their peers also ask them to speak up and it seems to help and be less threatening.

If that is the case I would prefer to come close to hear him or her then try repeat the question to the class befor I answer the question.

A lot of time you keep repeat your self and remind students in so many different ways to keep food and drink outside the class room, and yet you have some students come with some kind of food, this quest is really hard to manage specially with adults students

The quiet student I think is often quiet because of their lack of confidence. I try to ask the quiet students easier questions to help build their confidence. And when they get the answer right. Tell them, "yes you're right, say it with confidence!" (in a light tone while smiling)

Sign In to comment