Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Syllabus and Classroom Expectations

The first day of class is so important in defining the expectations and objectives for the course.  Icebreakers and discussions as a group and with each student are fundamental in building rapport and a professional relationship with class members.

On the first day, I introduce myself and give my qualifications for teaching the course. I have a printed syllabus and calendar ready for them and greet them at the door every day. I give an intruduction to the course along with the rules and regulations of what is expected of them. This has set the pace and level of performance that is expected from my adult learners. What I would like to work on is the use of "I" intead of "YOU". I like the form in which we can address a concern without having a learner lose face in front of the class and further disconnect him/herself from the learning at hand.

I agree that setting the tone is extremely important on the first day.  As the instructor, you must present yourself as organized, prefessional, punctual, detailed, and having high expectations.  You must be clear about requirements and outcomes.  The syllabus should be clear and easy to follow.  You must be welcoming but not seem like a pushover.  It has been difficult to blanace these things at times.  Does anyone have ideas for icebreakers or discussion questions that are suitable for adults but still on topic?  I often ask people to share their experiences or expectations regarding the field of study on the first day to help people get to know each other.

Sign In to comment