Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

keeping the student engauged in the conversation

Well i enjoy asking individual questions to several students on the same subject through out the class that way the students are alert and aware they might be asked @ any point during the class time a question about the objective just to keep them on there feet and understanding of the subject

Reciprocation

I often find satisfaction and fulfillment when I give back to my students. I believe, "To Learn, To Teach, To Love, and To Recreate."

It's all in reciprocating the life experiences to the next generation. However, I also find I learn much by allowing student driven learning activities in a condusive learning environment. Students find more fun in those types of classes versus me constantly talking or lecturing.

Student Privacy

Students often do not wish to share their personal history.  In this course, it states that it is essential for you, the instructor, to know their backgrounds and life experiences when dealing with diversity.  Although it sounds good, it does not seem  to be a practical approach.

adult learners

i feel adult learners are great students because they are much more motivaed to  learn and accomplish their tasks at hand

Student romance

How can you help a student who is being encouraged to quit by a student she is involved with romantically.

Student/ instructor relationship

Colleagues, 

I have recntly expereinced a student who stated that had she taken this class under someone that she liked then she would have been successful. She is a repeat student who failed again this term. My question is, how often do we as faculty remind the students that this learning experience is a two way street. We stress that when content is missed that it is the student's responsibility to contact us and/or another student for review of the content and any information that may have been missed. In addition to this, this student attended tutoring but did not… >>>

Call your students by their names

Will knowing your students by thier names help build relationship between the instructor and the student?

Expectations

Many students enter culinary school expecting to become great and famous chefs and TV personalities.  However, most will not.  Any ideas for how I can introduce this reality without discouraging the students?

Motivation

I find it extremely important to try and keep the class motivated. Using different techniques with 

various students keeps the involved and interested in the material. 

Cultural Diversity

It is important for the Insructor to make sure that the students understand what has been presented before moving on. Often times, I find that if i take a moment and look back on the material, it is clear that not all of the students understood. It is very important to make sure that any student who needs language help gets the needed help before the class progresses too far. 

Age Diveristy

I found this Module to be very useful. It is true that when teaching students of varying ages, the Instructor has to be 

mindfull of the various differences in knowledge and life experiences of the students. Older students bring varied and

interesting information to the classroom. It is important for the instructor to make all of the students feel welcome and a

part of the classroom. 

Promoting Autonomy in the Developmental Classroom

Often, as an instructor in a developmental English course, I face the challenge of student ability verse student motivation. I find it perplexing in an 8 week course to inidividually get to know the abilities of each of my students, what motivates them, and how to incorporate that in daily lesson plans and activities. After reviewing this course, I am going to actively, with vigor, incorporate activities and lessons that promote student autonomy. This motivational key would work well with the students in my classroom. Working in a secure classroom is something that developmental students need to feel. I always… >>>

Laugage barriers with foreign adult students

Having a student from another country that speaks only her language at home. But speaks broken English while at school. At first it was difficult trying to understanding each other. Finally, I got it meaning go with what the she words she using relating to mines. For instance, her word for guideline is layers. After that she's a great haircutter and everything fell in place.

Losing Student Interest

I have found student interest in a class can vary depend on the subject that is being taught. Some information is harder to engage students than others. When the energy level goes down in the class, I have them take a break. I then have us talk as a group as to why the information is important and how it relates to the "real" world. Asking students to write down what the find interesting and confusing about the topic is important as well.

Who are the key players in keeping students enrolled throughout their

The key players are the instructors. The instructors that the students interact with on a daily basis drive the motivation and enthusiasm of the student. Without motivation and enthusiasm students will not have the passion to come back to class or more importantly have the will to graduate. The other key players are the support staff. Everyone else involved in day to day interactions with the students play a role in student success. A positive environment breeds success.

Security/Autonomy and Intrinsic/Extrinsic

This has made be think about being more aware of all 4 of these things in my classes. I do feel that I include some of these things but some need more thought put in to them. Making sure of the non-threatening environment will be one thing to work on. To give more short quizzes may also be something new for me to add. I also need to incorporate more extra-curricular activities in some classes.

Students choosing assignments and assignment due dates

Depending on the course, I will conduct a business meeting with the students and allow them to input their ideas and concerns regarding the major assignments. Moreover, we pick due dates together as this allows the students to feel secure in their assignments. The goal is to reduce the stress and anxiety of the assignment; thereby, increasing the outcome which is learning!

Ummmm

I attended a training session on engaged learning quite a few years ago. We were assigned a task of creating a 15 minute engaged learning activity. The facilitator noted how many times during the presentation the "students" used the words um. It was amazing to me to see how many times we as presenters use this filler word. I started using this tool as part of my classroom observations and the faculty was well was surprised to see how many times they used this phrase and how it can impact their delivery.

Rewards

Rewards are a great way to get students involved but if you supply to many rewards it will no longer be successful. Using way of teaching that are internal to the learner is the most effective way of teaching.

Instructor Burnout

Instructor burnout can easily occur, but also can be easily prevented. One piece of advice I would offer, would be to continuously look for new ways to deliver the same material. The best part of this process is you can more often than not, turn to your fellow instructors who have a different teaching approach. I have also found that implementing a variety of teaching methods and mixing things up can help prevent burnout.