Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Student Retention

Student retention starts with the instructor. The simple act of taking the time on Day 1 to learn about your students can make a significant impact on a student's completion of their program. It is also important to understand that many of our student's lack outside support to be successful, so that is where we as the educational leaders, can step in and offer the support and motivation to complete.

Prior Knowledge

Students with Prior Knowledge can be both beneficial and hazardous to your classroom. Students with prior knowledge can be helpful to classmates who may be struggling and to the instructor as a go to source. however, they can also easily become a disruption to the class as they try to hard to impart their experiences. In cases such as this, I would assign this student to be the "observer" as noted in earlier trainings.

Learning/study techniques

It might sound a little silly but I use repetition through cheering/singing different material in a specific order for remembering different components of the topic matter. It works great! I have had many students come back to me thanking me for it.

Self doubt

I usually teach an Introduction to Automotive Technology class. The first day is usually kind of mixed with students that think they know everything already and students that have the look of "what did I get myself into" on their face. I am usually very thorough in my explanation and give longer then normal breaks so that the unsure students will ask questions. If they don't, then I still try and joke around with them to get the to feel more comfortable and eventually ask questions. It has seemed to help thus far and the self doubters usually end up… >>>

focus

easy to lose

older students

Need different teaching

Reasons for Learner Motivation

Social Relationships

REFOCUS

Recharging your batteries as an instructor

Teaching

It is important for instructors to try various types of learning on students so the student may better understand what is working for them

Setting the Stage for Learning

Student's self respect and respect for the student as an instructor

Student needs

Intrinsic Student Needs/ Extrinsic Student Needs

Prior Knowledge misconceptions.

Students comes to class sometimes with a lot of misconceptions about a course. Do the instructor have take the pain to know most of the misconceptions?

Building Rapport With Your Students'

The instructor will make sure that he build positive rapport with all his/her students. He/she will make sure that the names are learnt, something about their background, as well as their ages if possible. The ages can be learned through genuinely sharing through the breaking ice moment on the first day of class. What I usually do on the first day is to have an ICE BREAKER activity: I would have the student give their names, age and what town they are from and one FUN FACT about themselves. Through this activity I get some interaction going on; and this… >>>

How to keep students' motivated and see the value of learning.

The instructor who knows his students' in terms of their learning styles, background and their names give a leading edge in knowing just how to keep them motivated.By allowing the students' to share their experiences and making the connections to the subject matter; will spike retention significantly and will bring students' to the awareness of the relevancy and significance of the subject matter.

Recognizing Student Retention

The instructor who is fair and caring, by reaching to students to encourage and motivate is fully aware that student retention is a factor in determining success of a course.

Understanding Learner Characteriswtics

As an instructor, you must have a full awareness of the types of learners in your classroom settings.You have to consider their ages, backgrounds, prior knowledge of the subject matter and anything else that would assist the instructor in determining how best to provide extrinsic help and support for the students.

Pairing up students

As a nursing instructor -- my students range from 23 to 50+. Many struggle with the iPad that they are issued for the course. All homework and books are on this. I found that students who are very tech savvy find great pride and are glad to assist those who are not so savvy. It builds class camaraderie too.

Pair-Think-Share in Small Classrooms

I love the idea of the Pair-Think-Share. I see the benefits of empowering them to discuss with their peers without the intimidation of presenting their ideas directly to me or the entire class. My classes are often between 4 and 8 students though, do you think there is a way to adapt this to work? It seems futile to break up 4 students into 2 groups to discuss. Would it be better to ask them to discuss it amongst themselves before reporting to me?

Instructor's Role

I have great success when I give out structed outlines of the course the first day of class plus give an overview of what is expected in the class. I have organized lectures every class period for about 15 minutes than have an exercise for the students to do to reinforce the lecture.Sometimes we have discussion sessions led by me.

FIRST DAY INTRO TO CLASS

I believe the first day of class is the most important day in terms of setting the tone. As this course mentions, the importance of greeting the students, giving an intro of yourself and allowing for introductions of who they are seems to break the ice. I also have found giving students an intro of what they will be learning throughout my term and how it will be applied in their chosen career field on the first day of class gives my lectures meaning and importance. The students mentality changes from this being a required course for them to finish… >>>