Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student/ instructor relationship

Colleagues, 

I have recntly expereinced a student who stated that had she taken this class under someone that she liked then she would have been successful. She is a repeat student who failed again this term. My question is, how often do we as faculty remind the students that this learning experience is a two way street. We stress that when content is missed that it is the student's responsibility to contact us and/or another student for review of the content and any information that may have been missed. In addition to this, this student attended tutoring but did not aks any questions. She stated that she was afraid of getting her head bitten off if she asked, however, her other class  mates, showed no such fears. I digress to ask can you touch on how to address students that state that their learning is the responsibility of the  instructor and does not take ownership of their learning?

Thank you for you time and responses. 

This is a difficult task.I would ignore her discouraging remarks and not respond to them. I would continue to offer her tutoring and help withoutmaking any discouraging comments.

@JErickson Thank you so much. This is eactly what I did! :-)

Sign In to comment