Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ummmm

I attended a training session on engaged learning quite a few years ago. We were assigned a task of creating a 15 minute engaged learning activity. The facilitator noted how many times during the presentation the "students" used the words um. It was amazing to me to see how many times we as presenters use this filler word. I started using this tool as part of my classroom observations and the faculty was well was surprised to see how many times they used this phrase and how it can impact their delivery.

It's interesting that you noted this! I was just doing a teaching observation on a new faculty member the other day and made note of her frequent use of the word "okay" while lecturing. She wasn't even aware that she was doing it, but it definitely was distracting and would be annoying if it went on all day long. At first I thought, "oh good she's checking in with the class to see if they are all one the same page and understanding the concept before moving on" , but then I realized it was more of a filler, a chance to take pause and regroup her thoughts, which made her seem a little unsure of herself. I was glad I could bring it to the instructor's attention. With a little more self-awareness and conscious effort, she'll be a great classroom instructor, but the next time I do an evaluation, I think I'll bring my iPad and video record a few minutes so the teachers can see themselves as the student's see and hear them. It will be a good way to see how demonstrative and animated they really are (or aren't) and provide feedback on ways to improve their performance and delivery.

"Um" can definitely make or break a conversation/lecture.  It comes out so quickly, but I agree that it does create a level of uncertainty.  For someone who likes to say everything right the first time, I find myself pausing or saying um quite often.  I will be more mindful from this point forward.

I often find it very important to take a minute to think about my answer before I answer. Sometimes a pause or a short walk in front of the blackboard is agreat way to organize my thoughts and give a more complete answer. 

When I first started as an Instructor, during training the staff video taped me so I could see my self and I was amazed how often I used umm or so....ect.. something I have worked on and improved significantly. Watching the news as often as i do I see people using these crutch words over and over again, certainaly a good habit to break as the listener picks up on it.

Sign In to comment