Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Student motivation

What is the best way to motivate students individually without the rest of the class thinking that you only care about one student.

No such thing as a dumb question....

I never shoot down a student when they ask a "dumb" question.  But, it is hard sometimes.

Same thing with a "dumb" answer.  Sometimes I am shocked by the answer and struggle a bit to turn it into a positive.

Great course

I enjoyed this course

Students as customers

The education of the student can be seen as in business. In business to get your product to the consumers you have to market to the right market, and understand their needs and wants.  The same can be said about students they have needs and wants it is up to educators to figure out how to meet those needs and wants .

motivation

Relevance

As a math teacher, I am providing a basic skill set for the math used in other classes.  It seems good to me to bring in other students/teachers to discuss the uses of math in these other classes.

Student Fears

I teach math, and one of the challenges I have is to get students that have a fear of the subject to actually try!  There is a real fear that prevents them from putting pencil to paper.  I as an teacher have to somehow get the students beyond those fears and it can be tough!  

Adult Learner

I believe in the clinic especially life expiences should be shared. I will often share with students what they will encounter in the woking world. They often will respond or ask questions based on what they have encountered in life experiences. 

online class

Why are the Maxknowledge classes just lecture and testing instead different kinds of learning styles?

Reinforcement

Dose reinforcement really need to appeal to why they are learning?

Teaching

If you wear down during a course, shoud you stat to look at the couse and see if it is still relevant?

Adult learning

Adult learners often bring extensive life experiences to the class room. Do you feel that this my hinder them do to being set in there ways?

Extrinsic motivation

Excellent educational tool for students in underdeveloped countries.

Give a student a free pencil, coloring book, or a notepad (to name a few) and it will greatly encourage education, study habits and support/involment from parents.

Pencil/notepad - Some students don't even have writing tools. A pencil/notepad encourages student desire to write, draw, etc.

Parents - Parents will support student as they see them receiving things that they don't have to purchase or that they never received when attending school.

Believe it or not..... this sometimes applies to adults students in these countries.

Thanks

Encouraging Oral Presentations

One of  my  favorite "projects" is in  my Pathology class.  It always falls around Halloween and I allow my students to choose a pathological condition  to do an oral presentation on, but the representation muct be a food item, after which we all get to EAT....  love those sebaceous cysts cream cheese danishes. I don't assign the "condition" or the food item. It is the most popular assignment in  the massage program at the college I teach and after taking this  course I believe the autonomy of the assignment enhances it's success.

Self-Care

Instructor enthisiasm is very important. However, the instructor must also practice self-care in order to provide and maintain a positive learning enviroment. There are times that instructors need encouragement and they need to feel valued.

Does anyone have suggestions regarding instructors'  self-care and how instructors can encourage themselves when needed?  I can sure use that advise right now.

Student Retention

This class was helpful and gave some key points.

Student Retention

This class is very informative in new ideas to help build up your students as well as retention of students. Great course

At what age do you want to stop learning

I am now 34 and I am always looking for new knowledge. I know that I am in the health care field and I will always learn, but does it Ever get boring??! I love it!!!

Transformative learning theory

1.   Disorienting dilemma
  2. Self-examination
  3. Sense of alienation
  4. Relating discontent to others
  5. Explaining options of new behavior
  6. Building confidence in new ways
  7. Planning a course of action
  8. Knowledge to implement plans
  9. Experimenting with new roles
  10. Reintegration.

The list  of Transformative perspective  theory explained by  mezirow

customer oriented learning

I found this topic to be interested. As a student, we do have an advantage when attending post-secoddary institutions. We absolutely want to get our money's worth. We can be very demanding of our services because we know we are paying a great deal of money to  attend school. We also look at our return on investment, we expect to find a job that will provide us with a liveable salary, when we struggle to find this, we can hold these colleges accountable for failing to asssist us with job placements or with specific lack of preparation for a certain… >>>