Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Why give student's the choice of multiple assessments/quizzes?

Why would you give the students multiple choices of assessment reults? 

Classroom motivation

How do you motivate adults that are in their mid-fourties and equally motivate a student who is twenty? When both are at the same level of learning.

Adult learner

Adult learners are unique and at the same time, they are students like everyone else, because their common reason for coming to school, is to learn and complete their education and their career

Student retention and

Student retention is hard; teacher retention and engagement is just as big a challenge! The things applied here towards students can also be applied to and for instructors.

When you don't feel like it....

Sometimes the student isn't the only one who doesn't feel like "showing up." As an instructor, I've been there too! It's important that even in those situations, we press on and fight for the joy we once experience and will experience. This is a good topic of discussion that I wish had more attention - teacher retention and engagement.

Teach to the....

I liked how one of the videos emphasized teaching to the class as opposed to teaching the material only. I don't think this is an either/or - in other words, either teach the material or teach to the class. I think the instructor must be thoroughly knowledgable in the subject matter and also thoroughly knowledgeable with the type of class he/she is teaching. This way, the instructor can teach specifically to the class; adapting and adopting other styles to best suit the class.

Motivation needs rewards

I think students motivation should be cultivated with time and instructors should proceed by steps: motivators should fix some personal objectives during the course, in order to construct their proper way to bring out the best they can from the classroom.
When students reach a sufficient level of autonomy, security and interest in what they are learning, motivators should give rewards, such as more activities in groups, extra debates on particular topics, give students a chance to research individually on some topics, to relate to the class what they find out etc.

This can increase self-confidence, curiosity and a good… >>>

Thought Provoking

I found this course to be very thought provoking.  Amazing what all needs to be evaluated as you prepare for your term and lesson planning.  How is my planning going to be effective or not, depends on how it relates to the students' learning styles, security and autonomy.  I guess a different way to view the learning process when you are on the other side preparing the lecture material and how its going to impact the learning process.  Good Session.

Student retention

Hello just inquiring if this helps as clinical instructors

Enhancing retention

This was a great learning course to exercise different motivations techniques in classrooms.

Retention

Motivation will keep a student more invovled . Students being more involve in class activities keeps the classroom interesting .

Younger verses Older students

In our institution we see many different aged students. What have you noticed about the study habits between the age groups from 20's up to 50's?

I tend to see the older groups are more focused on the task at hand and have the discpline to get the work done.

Calendar resource

Here's a calendar with quirky celebrations on it that can be used to spark student conversation.  I love that the first day of the Nutrition class I am teaching is Cheese Lover's Day! https://www.daysoftheyear.com/

Here's a calendar with quirky celebrations that can be used in the class to spark conversations.  I love that the first day of the Nutrition class I am teaching is Cheese Lover's Day!  

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/

how to reach out to a student

As a instructor i find it hard to reach out to a student who is struggling without them feeling bad

good leson

Good lesson

good lesson

Good lesson

Adult students

I often get students that feel being the underdofg in class because of age and always encourage them to use the older age as wisdome over the younger ones to navigate through with greater outcomes.

Motivationg the younger adult learners.

How do we motivate younger adult learners who just do not have the

Drive? 

What is a best example on handling new adult students?

As a new instructor, sometimes it is hard to connect with new adult learners. What is a best example you could provide to help understand the process more?

Relevancy of the Fourth Amendment

How can I best engage the students in material that appears outdated and historical