Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Class Participation

I like to throw in curve balls to encourage class participation. If students aren't participating, I like to hit them with a question that I know appeals to something they are very interested in and tie that in to the lesson. I also like to set up various scenarios that have no clear, definite answer just to get them in a critical thinking mindframe.

motivation

motivating a student who wants to learn is easy. but trying to motivate a student who is not willing to put in time and effort into education is a challenge. I have always said that "they did not want to like me but they did". you have to get into their brains and find out what makes them want to be there in the first place. help them figure out what is important in their life.

empowering the student

you have to put the power of learning in the students hands. take what they know already and add to it. give them a chance to pick out snapshots of their own lives and put it in the lesson. you will be amazed how fast student pick up new information.

classroom learning

I have found that having an exciting classroom will not only increase your classroom retention rates but increase your overall grades because the students want to come to class and learn.

adult learners

teaching adult learners to me is easier than the young. the adult learners do bring in their experiences from life into the classroom and not only helps them but the entire class.

Motivating the student is the key

The key to long term success in the class room is motivating students. My methods of motivation is relating the assignments and tasks my students undertake in the classroom to real life applications in their chosen profession

Motivating Your Students

I like the video's on this course, there was a lot that I have learned from them.

Motivating Your Students

This is a great course to be able to learn on some of the different ways to motivate your students. Great course.

Perception of Abilities

This class was extremely informative for me as an instructor. It shed some light on a situation I am in currently with a student. I teach in a clinical setting and a student who I view as very promising and knowledgeable, wants to quit our program. She feels like she is not able to complete certain tasks that are required. In truth, she is behind on her requirements, but as her instructor I believe she has the skills to complete her requirements and even excel in the program. This can be very frustrating for instructors, as we all work with… >>>

retention methods

Great course learned allot from it.

Movation

Depending on the students ambition or desire to learn it can be a easy task to get people going. The non self motivators are the tricky part. They will be the mystery learning .

refocusing

That seems like the best one for me when i hit my peak for the day.

student relation

In my experience student like to know the instructor has faith in them to complete what ever task they need to .

General Strategies for Student Retention

This course was a great advice on getting and keeping great retention.

teaching Ages.

i have a few older student in my class that will set as role models for the younger students . I see the younger student have a more of a doing attitude rather then older students tend to step back and approach there task with a gathered mind set.

The dreaded background check

Many students come in with checkered pasts. They have come to improve their lives and create a new future. The negative side is to make sure that school is not the only part to teach. Many need a little more encouragement. Some need a father figure to keep them on the right path. To say you are just the teacher is not enough. The goal is to get every student to reach his goals. We can carry that for the time he / she is with us. After that we hope we have instilled enough in them to carry on… >>>

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

I really enjoyed the application of the use of intrinsic and extrinsic motivational techniques. I actually incorporate these when I teach my psychology classes, and we discuss Maslow's hierarchy of needs. We talk about how students can gain self empowerment through intrinsic motivation and finding means of bridging the gap with extrinsic motivation during the times when it is "hard" to keep going in order to reach their goals.

Keeping At-Risk Students on Task

What issues do you have as an instructor with regard to keeping your students focused in class? What classroom strategies do you employ in that regard?

One on One

look a student in the eye, ask them to tell you what they have gleaned out of the days class, give them positive AND negative feedback as needed on a personal basis and they feel like you are "there for just them" at that moment.

Age Diversity

In my class you can see a wide range of ages, from right out of High School, to some one in their 50's. By trying to stay informed of the current events and allowing yourself to be knowledgeable on all fronts of a subject, you can see "eye to eye" with your students no matter what age they are. When you do this it puts you on that students level and you look more "human" and accessible.