Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In a traditional classroom setting, learners benefit from immediate verbal feedback as well as non-verbal feedback in the form of body language such as smiles, nods, confused looks, frowns, etc. The absence of these types of feedback in an e-learning environment makes feedback particularly crucial in this setting.

Think about how you provide feedback/comments in an online environment. I can improve on this topic, since I think most of my feedback was too harsh when simply written out without verbal and body language cues. 

Engagement is key to online learning. If the students are not invested in what we are trying to teach, they will lose interest and fail the class.

I recently dealt with a competitive learner and found it very interesting to learn about the different learning styles. Competitive learners can absolutely be difficult for other students to work with!

What was interesting was:

Understanding Learning Styles first 3.

1. Avoidant
  2. Competitive
  3. Dependent

Keep the discussion board active and engaging

This was a nice review and reminder of the differences between synchronous and asynchronous chat/discussion. it is the instrcutors responsibility to ensure that the discussions are engaging and relevant and stay on topic.

Knowing the difference between asynchronous and synchronous is important when working with students. All instructors need to know how to communicate with all types of learns and communicators. If the instructor is unable to help the studuent with their communication problem it could hinder their learning. When learning online it is one needs these skills.

I learned the differences between asynchronous and synchronous discussions and the pros and cons of each.

I learned about synchronous feedback and to request feedback from my students. Those are two things that I have not been doing and will try to use to engage my students and to adapt to their expectations.

Synchronous conversations can be intimidating to different learner types and can limit the overall success of the discussion. The tone of conversation is very important to motivating efffective participation. Setting expectations is important when having synchronous discussions as well as leaving time for small talk to create a more comfortable environment. 

I concur that encouraging conversation involvement in both synchronous and asynchronous settings as well as course preparation is crucial to the success of learning abilities. Creating and posting summaries of discussion threads will also encourage students to engage in conversation with one another. We will do this by encouraging them to reply to groupings of linked messages rather than to single ones.

In addition, we'll be more succinct and direct in our explanations making them less wordy.

Asynchronous discussion allows students to participate and respond when they can, after work, on a lunch break. It's a great form of online discussion for a vast number of course topics and has the potential to be interactive because it gives the participants many opportunities to interact and respond without missing a window of time.

Be involved in the online discussion.  Email students who may not be participating with questions and encouragement

It's important to step in and keep the discussion going when it starts to fade, adding more in-depth questions and cheering on the class.

Endeavor to maintain a lively discussion including all students.  Remind students tactfully that their participation makes the class more interesting and inclusive.

I intend to engage my students through thought provoking conversation starters, feedback through comment boards and synchronous discussions with individual students.

Greater emphasis is placed on asynchronous interactions as it allows for learning that transcends time constraints, whereas aynchronous interactions should be applied to individual students.

The difference between synchronous and asynchronous discussion was helpful to learn. Rmoving that pressure of a full group can really benefit a struggling student.

It is important to have both synchronuz and asynchronus conversation depending on the tasks at hand.  A different type of cummunication can be used for noth

Sign In to comment