Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This module provided  great guidelines for best practices in protecting student information. 

FERPA allows students to place their difference of opinion in their rcords. It allows rights after the student leaves but ends at student's death.Employees can not access their records. All important facts to know.

FERPA training should be done on hiring and a refresher with practical applications, should be done annually.  I remember when grade were posted in the student lounge with only a number.  It was easy to figure out who was who!  Glad we can direct them to their course now. 

FERPA is about student rights just as much as it is about student privacy. Records are obtainable but under certain procedures

I appreciated how this module took the time to explain how FERPA applies in different situations (such as for an alumni students versus a former student who is now deceased). It is important to be able to apply the rule appropriately based on the student's enrollment status. 

I learned when FERPA no longer applies.

I am surprised that FERPA violations do not include fines as a penalty.

FERPA guarantees student information protection until graduation. Schools should be compliant of FERPA regulations. 

What really surprised me had to do with the sudden death of students due to school shootings and having to decide what inforamtion to release. Since the news, wants to know about the students who died from school shootings, they have to decide on how much information they can give out.

Ferpa defines the privacy of a students grades and who has access to them

Very informative so far.

I agree with previous comments, training is essential.

interesting when an employee is also a student.....tempting

FERPA is such a broad topic, a lot of information  and regulations that needs to be strictly followed or implemented. Thus it is important for employees specially the newly hired to undergo training so they can follow the correct protocol in implementing it.

That EMPLOYEES do not have access to their own records to protect the in order to protect the integrity of the record 

Important keys of integrity That EMPLOYEES should not access their records if they are students.  

I feel there is so much information about FERPA its important we get the refresher training. 

I always wondered how they handled students who worked in the offices. I have learned they are not allowed to access their own records.

I learned that if an employee is also a student he or she cannot just view their own record unless they go through the proper channels in order to view the records.

I find it interesting that student employees are not able to access their own individual grades, when quite honestly, the student won’t have security access to change or manipulate the grades in the system and will mainly have a “view” only capacity.

WOW-so much invovled with FERPA and each institution needs to ensure faculty, staff and students know what is and what is not allowed. I did not realize that former students are not covered in FERPA

Sign In to comment