Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

FERPA Fundamentals | Origin: CM141

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

FERPA and Privacy: A Practical Approach --> FERPA Fundamentals

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Students have a right to access their records

There are laws passed to protect students' rights and privacy when it comes to their educational information and grades. 

I've learned:

FERPA = Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974

Protect the rights of the student educational records, provides access to the records, opportunity to have amended and control over the information

FERPA is for Parents grades K-12 and Students in Higher education

Must report a complaint within 180 days of knowledge

An educational record is any record maintained by the institution directly related to the student, exceptions are sole possession records/private notes, law enforcement or campus security/records of employees, records after a person is no longer a student, records about more than on student, letters where students have waived rights

Annual need to notify students of FERPA

Institution has 45 days to comply with record request

No specific definition of FERPA/Institution specific, has to have legitimate educational purpose

Students understanding they have access to their educational records ensures there is complete transparency between the two parties. However, the school does have 45 days to provides those records. That can be tough when you're on the student side waiting but it provides clear restrictions to both parties. 

FERPA is a valuable part of all students and their education.

The FERPA (Federal Education rights and Privacy Act of 1974 protects the privacy of a students education record. Students have the right to inspect and review their educational records. 

confidentiality is key

All students have the right to privacy and information should not be discussed even with family members who are not in FERPA

FERPA safeguards the right of students to have access to and correct their educational records, in addition to controlling the release of such records. I have also realized that there should be a valid educational interest for any official to have access to records, and there is also an important difference between personal sole-possession notes and notes held in the student’s record.

I plan on using this knowledge through being cautious about the student’s information and ensuring that the records are given to the student where applicable.

I gained a better understand of the value FERPA brings to student records and privacy. 

I learned that FERPA protects students’ educational records and that school officials may only access information when they have a legitimate educational interest. 

FERPA, is always a great refresher to have. I could not remember that institutions have 45 days to comply with access to educational records. I cannot remember if I read in the past that complaints could be file. 

It is always a great review of the information.

FERPA ensures that we are protecting private student information.

It stop schools from  sharing your information with third parties and given students the ability to correct any errors  in their school files

The training reinforces the idea that you must confirm that you are speaking to people properly authorized to review academic records. Even if another family member or friend is well intended, it doesn't mean they are granted access to private academic records. 

From the Ferpa training, I learned that protecting student information is an important responsibility for anyone working in an educational environment. Ferpa, the family educational rights privacy act, provides students with rights regarding their education records and establishes expectations for how institutions handle, access and share student information. 

Privacy is crucial, and FERPA ensures that

Student's have the right to privacy and access of their educational records

From this module, I learned the importance of protecting student education records and maintaining the confidentiality of student information in accordance with FERPA regulations. I gained a better understanding of what information can and cannot be shared, when student consent is required, and my responsibility as an educator to safeguard student privacy.

I intend to apply this knowledge by being mindful of how I communicate student information, ensuring that grades and academic records remain confidential, and following institutional policies regarding access to and disclosure of student records. By adhering to FERPA guidelines, I can help maintain student trust, protect their privacy, and support a professional and ethical learning environment.

Sign In to comment