Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Interesting that parent financials are protected information and held from students.

Very similar to HIPAA in medical. Student information is confidential and on a need to know basis. Just becaues you work at the school and have access to students information does not allow you to view their information. 

FERPA is important to the student. As faculty it is our due diligence to protect the students privacy and only access necessary information, ie grades from my class. 

My main take away from this module is that student information is private to anyone who is not either the student themselves or an "eligible" person such as an employee of the institution. I also learned that certain employees are privy to certain information based on their role within an educational institution. Lastlly I learned the process for filing complaints and grievances when FERPA is belived to have been violated.

I learned the importance of staying clear from the FPCO investigating complaints and violations.  This may be avoided by employees being compliant and receiving continued education on FERPA. 

FERPA is necessary in maintaining and protecting the records and information of students.

Found it very interesting that if a student or eligible parent wishes to contest information within an educational record, the institution must consider the request and respond within a reasonable time period indicating if the record will be amended or not.

My biggest take away from this module was to be more mindful of authenticating my calls when speaking with students. It is difficult to verify identity over a phone call but that extra security is very high priority.

FERPA is a great way to protect student rights and confidentiallity

Remember that our students are adults and even well interntioned parents must have written permission to see information.

My  biggest take away about FERPA is ensuring  the privacy of my students and keep confidentiality of their records, and most of all abiding their guidelines and recommendations to avoid any violations.

I have learned that FERPA is a medium to protect all students from k-12 and all the way to college. It is a way to keep a student's record safe. Nowadays, when someone can find one thing on you, turn and look you up in google, and find the rest. Ferpa protects the student's from this issue, which is good. 

I learned that all information reguarding a student should be protected. 

This gave me insight into the drama I went through to get my academic records from one institution recently.  I do think they may have violated my rights - I did eventually get what I needed however.

The yearly review and acknowledgement of the FERPA rules is important both for th student and the institution.

The significance of confidentiality and access to a student's educational record. I must remember this law and follow the guideline to keep confidentiality of students’ education record.

i will treat student information confidentially and ensure only individual student information is visible for sharing - 

i understand what is included and who is included to have access as wwell as students steps for reporting

What is the biggest reason for getting someones educational records? I kinda see it as a very small piece of someones digital footprint (Doesnt mean its not important tho) compared to what you can find out via other channels like social media.

All school employees should be well versed in FERPA regulations. Additionally, these policies should be shared with the students upon enrollment and should also be posted on the school's website. Violation of FERPA regulations can hold negative consequences, so regular training is recommended for all staff. 

Students cannot demand immediate access to their educational record.  The educational institute has 45 days to produce the requested records.  

Sign In to comment