Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reply to Joyce Hladky's post:

It is important to error on the side of caution.  With the online learning enviornment being present even more, education on FERPA is important.  

I didn't know that students cannot ask for immediate access to their records. The university has 45 days to respond to a student's request.

I have learned what are and aren't part of a student record.  I also learned that a student has the right to access their records within 45 days of request and if filing a complaint, it need to be within 180 days of events.

Useful information! I was not aware of some of this - particularly what happens to an organization if they are found to be out of compliance.

FERPA can be tricky - I have witnessed relatives, spouses, etc trying to get around it and get information they are not entitled to. All school staff need to be very familiar with FERPA guidelines to protect their students.

Educational records are maintained for sole educational purpose and students/familiies have the privicy rights. Such information should be guarded with proper privacy considerations both institutions and their employees. Violations will face consequence including fine, etc. 

The impotance of staying current with FERPA is apparent.

The student's privacy is paramount and they have the right to access their educational records.  I have had parents call me to request information about their child and had the difficult conversation on FERPA.

I have learned that any notes in the student files could be viewed by the student. As an academic advisor, if my advisee moves to another advisor, any notes I have in the student file now becomes part of the educational record. 

The importance of student privacy, protection and being proactive. 

Managing the front desk presents many instances where FEPRA situation come into play. I am happy to have a better understanding of what to look out for in regards to safeguarding student personal information. It's truly everyone's job.

This is a great way to keep student's best interest in the forefront. 

Some of us have been at this education game for some time and may forget important regulations for the sake of expediency.  Our school prides itself on customer/student service but we are reminded that there are privacy laws that supercede student service.  The FERPA guidelines are clearly delineated in our catalog, but a refresher like this course and the mandatory annual training is needed.  I agree with my colleagues on this post that we must always pause to review or protocols.  - Nelson (Stratford University - Alexandria, VA)

As an instructor it is important to not disclose student information - including to a parent unless there is a waiver signed.

As a career services manager, I understand the importance of protecting student/graduate data. All employees should be familiar with the regulations.

All information about student records must be regarded as private, and is not allowed to be seen by anyone unless they have documented written permission from the student this would include parents of a student in a higher level education institute and over 18 years of age.

Reference letters could be a challenge and I didn't see how they were covered in the provided information

i have learned that students recordds are private and confidential, that restrictions and noncomplaince can result in investigations by the department of education.

I have learned how to handle student records and files. When students can access records or files and who and how they are to be examined. 

Virginia

The importance of knowing and correctly applying the rules is apparent.

If notes are not intended to be shared with students, then those notes need to remain in the posession of the originator and not included in student files.

A good refresher, to remind oneself of the specifics or FERPA. As an online instructor for 16+ years, most aspects of the law are known, but it doesn't hurt to revisit them from time to time.

Sign In to comment