Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It was interesting to review some of the FERPA foundations. Reading about the biggest issues institutions report with FERPA, for example not being able to determine if a signature is definitely from a student, was intriguing. 

From this module, I have learned the importance of FERPA in general and its role in safeguarding student information. 

I've learned that I apparently don't know much about FERPA as I originally thought. Such as, FERPA violation complaints need to be submitted within 180 days and the institution has 45 days to comply with student request to access educational record. 

Information sensitivity and compliance. 

very informative laws of FERPA, for privacy and accountability

Fines aren't imposed for FERPA violations.

This was an interesting chapter.  The FERPA exclusions make complete sense.  It keeps people from over stepping their bounds and protects the student.

One does not necessarily have to be employed by the institution to have access to student records.  Sole possession notes once left in a file or otherwise transferred to someone else are no longer considered sole possession. 

Great informative session on FERPA, students have right for their information and its staff's responsibility to keep the student's information confidential.

FERPA not only protects student personal information, but the institution's integrity and professionalism. It ensures that data/notes that are added to a student's Educational Record are fair, honest and respectful. And allows transparency to students of their progress, without exposing sensitive data to others. 

Comment on Joyce Hladky's post: I found your post interesting and relatable. The world of academia online has created a complex situation where one has to be extremely careful when working with student records.

I have learned the importance and privacy of student information, and more so regarding personal issues related to health and legal.

This will be applied in the registration and management of academic extension courses at the university, as such short courses represents our priority to ensure the information of participants.

I thought this module was informative and interesting because I didn't know much about FERPA before this course. Understanding the timeline of student requests (45 days to respond) and what constitutes as private information vs. shared information was useful for future practices related to student records. 

My main takeaway are the levels of exceptions made for the policies and regulations. They make sense to why they are needed, but can add confusion in fully understanding what is  or is not a requirement.

Sign In to comment