Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Confidentiality and privacy are two things that schools and administrators and educators have to take seriously.

This is a refresher on FERPA, but it always brings to mind, how we as educators, have to be aware of the Students rights under FEPA.  the reminder is good.

FERPA not only protects students' privacy it also allows students access to their own educational records.  Institutions have 45 days to provide student's access.  Students also have the right to file a complaint when they become aware of a violation however they have 180 days to do this.  The family compliance office of the department of education handles complaints.  Enforcement of FERPA is provided under the General Education Powers Acgt.

Treat all student information as confidential.  It is better to be safe than sorry.

It is a great module that protects everyone.

Not everything requires protection.

Ferpa provides protection to recordsand the privacy of those records.

RIGHT TO PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY..... FERPA is an important Law put in place to protect students' personal information that could be used against them or could subject them to discrimination, harassment, and personal danger.  Thus as instructors, we have to be very careful with that information even when parents call to inquire about their kids' grades.

My main learning was to maintain student's privacy and do not give out any information that pertains to student's educational records without written permission even to his or her parents, spouse, brother(s), sister(s), or/and any relative. Just because they are directly related to the student, they do not have right or access to student's record unless authorized by the student and the authorization must be in written form.

Reply to Judy Whitehill's post: I totally agree with you on gtis Judy and just to add my thought to yours' protecting privacy of a student is everyone's responsibility and must be safeguarded with due care

I have learned that student's personal and educational information needs to be protected. If released or shared with persons other than the student, this may be a violation of the laws pertaining to student privacy. Violations may be reported to the Department of Education with varying levels of consequences.

Ferpa is important information to aware. 

Ditto to Daniel Falks' statement for general staff also.

FERPA protects a student's personally identifyable informtion and cannot be released without specific written consent from that student.  Not all employees have access to all parts of a student's records.  Persons from outside the company may also have a legitimate interest in specific file information based on certain assignments.  To avoid issues, it is best to refer any requests for information to the company's designated FERPA compliance personnel for a decision about dissimination.    

This module is very informative. I didn't realize that an institution has up to 45 days to get a student his/her educational record. Additionally, I did not know that fines are not imposed for violations of FERPA. I feel like this module is going to help me better understand my role and the students rights related to the complete educational record. I am learning alot. 

I learned how FERPA protects the student's privacy and educational records.

FERPA training provided clarity on who is allowed to have access to student records versus whoom access should not be granted to. This is similar to the HIPAA rules that are in place for health care.  As with all areas of maintaining confidentiality, access requires the evaluation of a "need to know."

FERPA has taught me the importance of student privacy, and that a lot of information about a student cannot be disclosed. 

I intend to abide by all FERPA regulations.

One thing I learned about FERPA in this module that I previously didn't know was to use a "Need to know basis" within our organization to determine which employee's truly need access to student confidential information to fullfill the responsiblities of their job. 

Sign In to comment