Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree with the comment above.

Ferpa designed to protect students rights

FERPA does not have a specific fine for violation; this is interesting as records should be maintained with the student's privacy as a priority.

The first module provided a clear overview of the policies and requirements to ensure compliance with FERPA. I will apply the knowledge to inform and educate my peers in the execution of our roles within the institution. 

FERPA applies to K-12 and post-secondary schools. It is a way to protect students and their information and is very important. If I do not abide by FERPA, the school will face an investigation.

All student information should be treated confidentially to avoid violating FERPA. Before releasing information make sure to read the guidelines that way you don’t violate a FERPA guideline. 

I had not heard of FERPA until being employed as adjunct faculty. It is nice to know that there is protection of students' personal information. Although there are time limits, students are able to request an amendment to their information if they feel it is inaccurate. I think it's wonderful that there are processes in place in which to make corrections, if needed, versus inability to redact information already placed in a record, as it was in previous years. Great information!

Protecting students' information/records is an important mandate for faculty. Ensuring confidentiality builds trust. 

I wonder how many students really understand FERPA and the implications.....whose responsibility is to educate them?   

No fines directly are imposed based on findings of violations.

As faculty I feel FERPA plays a viable role in my job. It is important to follow strict guidelines. 

I so appreciate this opportunity to learn more about how to become better attuned to this subject, with regards to education and best practices.

This information provided me awareness regarding rules and regulations governing confidentiality and access to student records. 

I learned that placing sole possession notes in a student file could be accessible to a student. FERPA laws are new to me. This information is very informative and applicable even to an adjunct clinical instructor. 

I just learned that  U.S. Department of Education has the authority to impose the five-year rule against any entity that FPCO determines has violated FERPA 

Student information is protected similarly to health information. If I am unsure if someone should have access to the student information, I would follow up with the school/director. 

c c
c c

confidentiality is so important to all parties especially students and employees. it save face for a great deal of legal paperwork being filed and it sets a standard/balance even for parents to know their limits. 

I appreciated learning about FERPA and the importance of the following the laws on student's records. 

privacy s crucial

This module helped me understand the importance of and policies regarding protecting student information. As a faculty member, it's vital that I utilize FERPA appropriately to safeguard my students' privacy.

Sign In to comment