Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I am both a leader and manager. 

I definitely lean towards being a leader.  My philosophy with my small team, many of whom are former military officers, is to approach each as the unique individual they are.  With a sudden change in our team leadership model, I was thrust into "leading" my team of peers through a very tumultuous year.  My first priority was to get to know each person on a more personable level and to conduct a "team" -assessment of our problem-solving preferences using the FourSight Assessment.  This tool highlighted each team member's preferences - clarifying, ideating, developing, implementing - in their approach to problem solving.  It also provided each member with the tools to how to appropriately communicate with members of the team who had different preferences.  We all basically understood what each other needed from one another and were able to move forward on our projects quickly and efficiently.  This course highlighted the importance of knowing the difference between being a leader and being a manager - they are both important, but knowing when to shift roles is absolutely key to keeping the team optimized.

Difference between managing and leading

I believe I am more of a leader than a manager but I have done both

I am learning that I have the capacity to lead by setting goals for groups of persons and influencing them towards achieving them. I can also be a manager in guiding and motivating my team.

correction to misspelling: -->weak management; discovered

My position requires that I am effective in both roles. My strength as a leader is the ability to help my managers see the big picture of what we are trying to accomplish and setting goals to achieve those results. At the same time it is important to manage the day to day operations to ensure all departments are aligned and striving to achieve the same outcomes.

Hello,

I tend to be more of a leader than a manager. But I'm capable of both. I just prefer to inspire people to attain a goal rather than making sure the goal is obtained. The course makes me realize I need to work on my managment skills.

I feel that I lead by example and manage within my leadership abilities. 

I feel that I am more of a leader.  However, I also manage most of the time.  But still a stronger leader than a manager.

I feel that I have a little of both.

I fall into the leader category. Through my career, I believe in developing a strong team and leading them successfully to the departments common goals. In any organization, it is imperative to have good relations and a deep understanding on what drives and motivates your team. Once that is understood, then the magic will happen.

Based on this lesson I learned that I possess both management and leadership characteristics. I use both to support my team, students, and the educational program.

This course made me aware of the sublte nuences between "manager" and "leader" and how those words can be misleading in job descriptions. I have also gotten clearer on my own style in both areas.

I lead and manage when needed.

The characteristics or descriptions of a leader and a manager may be different but I think the end goal and/or vision are the same. 

Well the quiz shows I am a Leader but I honestly felt I was a mixture of both. The test was a little confusing because what I see as a manager compared to a Leader is opposite of what the training says. LOL.

I learn alot about beng a leader and being a manager. I think I amn more of a leader because I lead by example. There is nothing my employees can do that I wont do myslef. I woudl jump in and give them a break if needed.  Leader does it for the nefenit og helping someone gets better. 

Although I function in the role of a leader, I learned more qualities of a leader. Equally as important, I understand more reqarding the role and responsibility of a manager.

After reading all of the content, the information has affirmed that I am a leader. I did enjoy learning the various tasks between the two although my test score did not reflect my learning.

Dr. Miller

Sign In to comment