Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would say I try to maintain a good mix of both. However, as tasks take over the day and meetings and other activities become time-consuming leadership takes intentionality and discipline. Taking the time to maintain a plan and focus is essential. I think without this leadership activities can take a backseat to daily tasks and duties. I remind myself often that Leadership matters. It is time well spent and really makes a difference in the Department!

Hello Team,

What I learned in this session was the difference of where does it belong? Managers are more adminster, maintain, control, short-term view which I was surprised with the result.  Also managers are more ask how and when, imitate and accept the Status Quo.  Learder is more innovate, develop, inspire, long-term view, ask how and why, originate and challenge it.  In this session I learn that both roles are needed to be successful and how you can be both.

Ms. Nini

I lead more than I manage, but I do have skills in both catagories. I feel I need to work more on management than leadership.

I learned the difference between a leader and manager. I now know that I am more of a leader then a manager. I plan to work on this and become both.

I am the lead of two Learning Communities from the university where I work for the last twelve years. I consider myself both depending on the situation and the People that I am working with. I lead by example, a lead instrument in making the mission and learning goals accomplished. I mentor new faculty members, and I manage any crisis that happened along the way.

There are key attibutes for both leaders and managers. This lesson focused on those areas and allowed me the opportunity to access my skill set and determine where I stand.

I learned I am more of a leader than a manager.

I learned that I have both qualities as a manager and leader.  One area that stuck out was the statement regarding spending more time & attention on weaker performers vs. top performers.  It was curious to me that leaders place their attention on those who are the best at what they do, while managers tend to spend more attention on weaker performers.  It seems as though one would need to apply both leader and managerial components in order to address both sides of the equation.  

I believe I both manage and lead 

Learned throughly the definitions between leadership and mangement! Making sure tht I understand exactly the definition of both and making sure that you have a mix of both. 

The lesson has taught me some of the major differnces between leaders and managers.  Leaders focus on people by building relationships, helping them and an organization to grow and to reach goals.  Managers are more conerned with building systems and processes necessary to achieve goals and in so doing make processes more effective.

I have learned that both leaders and managers are essential to the functioning of an organiztion.  While I currently serve in both roles, I am much more a leader.  I truly enjoy inspiring and motivating my team members to achieve a goal.

I am a both a leader/manager.

I have learned I am definitly a Leader. I ensure the task given is carried out and followed through. 

I've learned the differences between manage and lead. I am more of a leader, but know when I need to use manager skills as well. It's important to know the differences between both.

I have learned I am a true Leader

I have learned the difference between managing and leading.

It can be tough to separate managing and leading a team. However, this lesson provides a simple breakdown in order to separate the roles more effectively. By recognizing the difference, implementation and improvement of team goals will be much more attainable. 

I learned that I manage more than I lead.  I wonder if this is situational as this is a shift in my previous life.

I enjoyed how this module broke down the differences between managing and leading AND explained how both need to coexist for an organization to be successful. I wholeheartedly agree, based on past experiences. I look forward to taking this knowledge and applying it in my current and future roles. My key take-away from this module is that management comes down to how we execute on a goal and leadership comes down to how we share and influence a vision. The two definitions I also took from this module were:

"Management: The administration of business concerns or undertakings."

"Leadership: The process of influencing an organized group toward accomplishing its goals."

Sign In to comment