Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would like to believe I lead more than I manage, but the truth is it seems few and far between. In the classroom it was easier to see and accomplish.  You had your moments when you knew you could lead, lead, lead....in administration, it seems so much about "reminding" people of things that need to be accomplished. The relationship part of leading is the intangible. 

I think i'm a leader. I'm always trying to focus on the people, for the people and with the people. 

I have learned that you need to understand the approach and skill set to be a good manager in order to be an effective leader. The balance in approach is key to success.

It depends on the situation. I believe that everyone needs to hvae the capacity to do both as both are important to having a well rounded administrator.

I have learned that in order to be a good manager, you need to have the ability to become a good leader as well.

I believe that I am a leader and a manager.

great class!

In this lesson, I believe that I both manage and lead. Coming from a "group" setting, it was evident that not everyone in a forward motion is made for managerial positions. But you learn to navigate around that and set your own goals to push yourself and organization forward. To add, leaders are MADE and not born contrary to popular belief. I would not have been able to lead the new hires at my job without years of training and learning HOW to properly lead without micromanaging.

I manage, but lead when someone else doesn't

i think you can apply, booth requisite just depends on with  situation, is relative to the different styles 

It is a very informative course with different case scenario. In practical life, I see there is no firm boundary between leadership ans a managerial and these bot roles are vey interdependent.

I have learned that in a position of decision making, you have to be equipped with both leadership, and management skills. You need to inspire, lead, motivate, and effectively communicate to be a leader. 

After this lesson, I realize there are differences (although subtle) between what managers do and what leaders do within the organization.  

According to the assessment, I am a leader, I but feel like I have incorporated both in my previous roles. With me team, I was a manager in supporting and evaluating curre t processes to help ensure good moral and efficiency. However, when I with other mangers or even higher leaders I would take on more leadership responsibilities, not to lead them but liaisoning with them to represent my team and department and advocate for needed changes (which I would then manage once in affect). 

I've also seen first hand what having bad leadership but good management does to the overall institution. Great things can come out of good management, but if it's not matched with similar leadership, progress can be very limited. It was good to see the importance and need of both and how both rely on each other.

The best method for me to lead anyone is by providing them with a good example. If I an unwilling to learn, compromise, or educate myself to make informed decisions, what kind of example am I setting for others? I always have the voice inside of me reiterating that as a leader, I should be striving to provide others with the tools they need to be future leaders. 

IMO, I believe there's a major difference between a Boss and Leader. Being a leader you are more respected and leading by example than telling the workers what to do. By doing so you receive more productivity.

Leadership and managing can go hand in hand. To be effective in the classroom it's important to have characteristics of both a leader and manager. I learned the key differences of manager vs. leader.

In my position I do both.

In this lesson, I learned that management and leadership are both necessary. Whereas management deals with general oversight, which is certainly important in some aspects, leadership focuses on seeing the bigger picture, moving towards a vision, and helping to transform others.

Good leaders often have good manager skills.  I need to find ways to focus more on rewarding and influencing others.

Sign In to comment