Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I've learned to better manage the differences between my administrator and myself. She is a fantastic manager with some leadership skills. She is developing more every day. I'm a leader and thrive when creating but seem to lose interest in managing situations. The module has helped me see the differences and better acknowledge her value.  

I learned that leadership and managment are two different things.  A leader motivates through example and works to motivate others by encouraging self motivation.

This lesson was very educative. I have identified key differencese between leadership and management. I am a leader because I prefer setting goals in every activity that i have. This process makes it easier for me to work towards the objectives of every activity. Likewise, I am always interested in assisting others to achieve thier goals. 

I can be both at times. Mainly  a manager but exhitbit some leadership skills.

This first first was somewhat eye opening.  I tend to manage and lead but I am not sure a good leader should be managing. Very interesting

I learned that I am both a manager and a leader, and that leadership or being a leader is something different than managing a person or task to completion.  This is very helpful. 

Management utilizing resources to get set outcomes.  Leadership is influencing others to follow a vision with individualized focused motivation.  Leaders set the destination while managers navigate the transit. 

This has helped me to distinguish the differences and allows me to recognize the necessary skills for both.

I combine a forward looking strategic view with a hands on approach to execution. Combining leadership and managerial traits has proven to be more effective in engaging teams and enabling them to deliver on or above expectations.

I both manage and lead. It depends on the situation that I am in.  Sometimes I will need to manage a person and/or a process.  Other times you need to lead a team or provide leadership for a situaiton or help to lead someone to a new outcomes.  So my management and leadership are both situational.

I am definately a hands on person and getting the job done.  

I have excellent people skills and always work to get the job done, I think i am more a manager with some characteristics of a leader

Depends on the situation but team approach applies

While this was not new information for me it was good to see that my responses to the assessment suggested I am a leader. 

It's important that people are not only promoted in th eworkplace because they are the high performers as it takes much more to be a leader. That person may make a good sales manager, driving the people to make the company goals and targets but have terrible people management or leadership skills to motivate the work force. When you find the combination of a good manager with great leadership skills though, that is a win for all involved and sucess follows.  

This course clearly discusses the differences between a leader and a manager. In most organizations both tactical and strategic thinking and behaving are required. The challenge can sometimes be knowing when to be the manager and when to delegate managerial tasks to others. In most organizations there are more managers than leaders. Therefore, it is important for org leaders to focus on the tasks that no one else can execute, and jump in and manage as needed. 

I learned that there is an overthinking that takes place that lends to the idea managers and leaders are completely different people, and that because of this perception, it appears that one would want to be a leader RATHER than a manager. But the reality is, leaders are great managers, and vice versa. One needs the passion, vision, ever-questioning how things are currently done as part of "Kaizen". However, without the skills to implement these inspirational ideas means they remain just that, ideas. The most successful leaders are able to effectively manage what it takes (people, resources, processes) to make their visions a reality.

I have done both, honestly with varying degrees of success.  I learned to manage first, as a junior enlisted, then transitioned toward leadership while maintaining managerial responsibilities.  Looking back, I also feel that true "leadership" is often stifled in a great many military organizations when considering the innovation and origination ideals.  Far too frequently the organizations resist change and innovation in favor of "tradition" and "proven results".  Thusly, there are people in the military who become convinced they are "leaders" when truly they simply degrade the leadership value of others.  For myself, I strugged greatly against that, and largely failed.  I suppose there was an opportunity to make a greater change in fostering the alteration of the organization toward a greater leadership potential, but in the moment I could not see that.

From the lesson it is evident that in order to have an effective and efficient organization there has to be a balance between managemnet and leadership skillls. Both sets of skills compliment each other.

I learned that I answered the questions as a leader, but I also have manager qualities. Being a servant leader is important, and being able to adapt to different personalities and attitudes is critical for a manager. 

I am definitely both a leader and manager. Especially as an educator, I not only have to set the vision for the course and inspire learning, I also have to manage processes such as grading assignments and interacting with students online.

Sign In to comment