Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Good managers and leaders don't come from the highest performance.  Some of the best leaders I know didn't have a high ranking or was top performer.  To be a good manager or leader you need to involve your team and have an end attainable goal.

I feel I lead and I am also a good manager. There is so much to learn on this topic. I have my staff work autonomously because I value autonomy and the ability to trust in others is important and makes me feel good I have that trust in my employees. I can share my vision and they see I work hard so they can be leaders and can follow me too. 

In todays world one must were mutiple hats and be able to read a situation to decide what hat best fits.

I believe that even if you identify as one more than the other, both are necessary to be successful when you are in charge of a group of people. 

People skills and the ability to influence is key for leaders. Leaders must have the ability to develop a vision, inspire and motivate their team. I more clearly understand why managers promote stability and leaders promote change. A key insight taken from this lession for hiring is that high performers do not always make the best managers. 

I am able to do both depending on what is needed at the time.

The focus is on what is best for the company.

Leaders allow others to take the lead of their job

Reply to Daniel Falk's post:Reply to Daniel Falk's post: I am a Leader and my focus is on the students and the instructors. I am a mission-driven person and am always looking at the bottom line. In doing so, I must balance the stakeholders (i.e., students, instructors, community,  and Board of Directors). Each group requires leadership but sometimes I find myself managing.

I am a person who has both indirect and direct leadership. While doing the quiz I realize that I also manage but in doing so I am always focused on the organizational goals while balancing nurturing my staff and students. I will focus more on the leadership going forward and be unapologetic about it. This is where I am vulnerable at times but I own my role and position. I enjoy nurturing my staff to prepare them for achieving their own goals and notice when a different discussion is need to motivate.

I believe that I need to work on developing a role as a manager and a leader in context of the business of my day at work.  When I have a lot to do I am less inclinde to demonstrate the essential skills needed in a leadership/manager.  I just want to focus on my own responsibilites and not those of the people around me.  It is that balance that I am struggling to grasp.  When does being a leader and a manager take prescedent over my own requirements as an employee first?

i believe that i manage and lead just depending on what needs to be done

I have learned that leadership and managemnet work hand in hand and that sometimes you may function as one or the other and often times as both. 

Based on the information, I lead.

Managers don't always make good leaders.  Something I take to heart over the past 20 years of teaching, mentoring and managing in my various positions.  You need to practice what you preach, earn the respect from your peers and subordinates to be a good leader and they will consider you a good manager.

While some people seem to be natural born leaders or managers, it is a comfort to know that we can all learn to improve.  I assumed that leaders and managers were all one in the same, but a closer look shows that their focus and the results of their work are both different. Sometimes the best managers are not those with the strongest skill set, but rather those who can identify the best process and people to complete a shared goal. Leaders inspire others to make changes and the determination to see it unfold.  Coming up with goals or ideas is pretty easy for me, and even bringing (convincing?) my colleagues that we should do this is invigorating.  However, I really have to work at the project management aspect—I don’t always have the patience to work at the pace of education (much slower than industry).  I have a lot to learn here…

Reply to James Scheu's post: Nuances is correct. This lesson is helping me identify some of those nuances that are required of a leader and manager. Looking back on some major projects, I see it with a new lens. 

I learned that being a top performer doesn't always translate to being a good manager or leader. I also appreciated the examples when a role calls for both management AND leadership -- while other roles are more focused on one or the other. The elements of influence and persuasion are often overlooked by some who call themselves leaders.  

in higher education it is necessary to be both. There are policies that need to be followed to stay compliant, but the ever changing education and healthcare field the need for leadership is very apparent

I would like to enhance both characteristics. I believe if you can have traits for both a manager and a leader, I can be a much better employee

I think to be a good manager it is important to your people and provide support which brings out the best in teams. On the other hand to lead is with vision and clear direction. Knowing the distinction between the two and realizing some skills need refinement like crucial conversations and conflict resolution. 

Sign In to comment