Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think that students need to feel they're part of a community. Engagement and personal interaction are very important. Our students need to be challenged and as intructors we should model good behavior

Student retention is at least as much a function of institutional behavior as it is of student behavior. Building strong working alliances with online students is fundamental; and increases positive student outcomes.

Empathy is very important because as we learned retentions factors include individuals factors (psychological characteristics such as academic locus of control and motivation) and external factors; such as financials resources, acces to employment opportunities… they need to feel they are not alone and we can help in any way.

Involucrar y atender estudiantes en linea se ha convertido en una actividad fundamental que permite definir el grado de aceptación que un estudiante puede llegar a sentir en un grupo de trabajo, es crucial para el estudiante saber que se le proporcionan las medios que le permitan insertarse adecuadamente en su clase y sentirse apoyado no solo por sus compañeros sino tambien por su profesor y la administración de su escuela.

El estudiante no es un cliente al cual hay que satisfacer , sino, mas bien es una persona al que hay que apoyar para provocar su crecimiento en distintas areas

it is a fact that current generations learn and understand the world in a different way. Education must be proactive and focused on results.
The way in which students are contacted and the type of opening, often makes the difference with respect to whether or not they continue in the university.
This is an effort shared by all parties.

El clima positivo en el campus es fundamental para lograr la retención de los estudiantes. Ese clima positivo es una labor que le concierne no solamente a los instructores, sino también al personal, los administradores y a los estudiantes. Las interacciones individuales afectan la experiencia general de los estudiantes, por lo tanto, las instituciones deben establecer políticas que apoyen tal comportamiento.

El servicio al cliente en las instituciones educativas no consiste precisamente en satisfacer a los clientes. El servicio al cliente debe estar orientado a brindar ayuda profesional a los estudiantes brindándoles aliento, orientación, proponerles perspectivas desafiantes para ayudarlos a lograr sus objetivos de aprendizaje y profesionales. El apoyo profesional a los estudiantes debe tener los siguientes elementos: autenticidad; empatía precisa; y, respeto positivo incondicional.

Reply to Luz Bueno's post:

Hola Luz, en la parte inicial de su comentario dice "Creo que los estudiantes necesitan sentirse parte de una comunidad". Comparto su comentario porque cualquier persona que no se sienta cómoda en un lugar, lo que hace es irse de allí. Aunque esto todos los sabemos creo que a veces se "nos olvida" esa tarea que todos los instructores estamos llamados a hacer. Este curso nos ha recordado nuestro papel fundamental en la retención de los estudiantes cuando se sienten bien atendidos en nuestra instución educativa.

Totalmente de acuerdo conel Dr. Vivas, en muchas organizaciones academicas se tiende confundir el concepto de  el servicio al cliente, pero tal como lo estudiamos es brindar un acomoañameinto en todo el proceso de la clases, hasta lograr el objetivo de que se tenga un aprendizaje significativop

He aprendido la importancis de generar ambientes agradables para que los estudiantes sientan el deseo de ser parte de la institución, que la institución está a su servicio, por lo que se enfoca que brindarle toda la ayuda necesaria para su éxito profesional.

Considereo el clima laboral es fundamental para que la transmisión del conocmientos sea eficiente y agradable. Los estudaintes perciben este ambiente atrarvés de la forma de comunicarse de sus maestros. Estas relaciones  hace mas eficiente la comunicaicón entre maestros y alumnos, a los cuales hay que involucrarlos en todo las actividades que se realizan dentro de la universidad, y de esta forma construir alianzas que generen una relaciones duradera entre la isntitución y el alumno.

Today I learned that education has been changing, today it is an education mediated by technology. The student, who generally loves contact by electronic means, hopes that his learning will be the best, without the need to physically move to his university, today he works with a good internet connection

En este módulo he aprendido de manera concreta como lograr una comunicación real con el estudiante así como la empatía que debemos tener ante ciertas circunstancias como facilitadores, ya que no debemos limitarnos únicamente a trasmitir conocimientos, debiendo fomentar la alinaza que es tan necesaria para lograr los objetivos propuestos 

From my perspective Retention without humanization is dead, it is necessary to create spaces for our students, but that they feel more cared for and less like a number or a registration to pay or that they feel that we need them only for that...!

Despite the many positives of technology in education, we can not forget to teach the students the importance of interpersonal relationships

It's all about the relationship you have with the students.  Some are more engaged than others, but there should be some way of finding out what makes each student tick.

I remember being a student and noticing how some instructors didn't seem to care and others who were genuinely interested in your success. Today's students seem to be pulled in all different directions and don't seem to be as focused. 

The strength of the working alliance positively correlates to adherence to an action plan, increasing the likelihood of positive student outcomes. 

Building relationships with students requires many skills as the different genarations of learners have different expectations when it comes to being engaged, feeling that they belong at the university and how they learn, so also considering the culture of the organization weighs heavy on the retention process. Retention is a 360 degree process involving all in the educational setting :-)

Reply to Robert Whyte's post: I agree.

Open communciation is the best way to retain students, but also make them feel part of the process.

Comment on Tim Pope's post

I could not agree more to your comment! The lack of self motivation in so many of our students is difficult at times. Sometimes I feel thaat we want it more for the student than the student themselves. I have found that many times this perception is due to extranious issues that I am unaware of in the students life. Helping to motivate and encourage these students to achieve their goals can be so rewarding!

Comment on Tim Pope's post: Hi Tim, I absolutely agree with you. We are in a new generation of adaptive teaching and learning. It demands that we be culturally responsive.

Sign In to comment