Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reiteration of the need to develop working alliances with students and the 2 ways in which you can effectively achieve this goal.

In reflection, I feel we could do a better job at my institution of utilizing positive praise to keep people motivated. I think the staff and faculty gets caught up in supporting the students of need and those who are just doing the things can unintentionally get ignored. Those who need the most help don't always get the praise either, because people are so focused on just getting them the help. 

We have a PDF postcard for staff that we use to show praise and gratitude when a co-worker does something noteworthy. I am going to make a few versions to deliver to online students that say things like "Great Job!" "Keep Going!" Etc. Expressing gratitude and taking a moment to focus on those who are doing well can also energize and replenish us as staff/educators. As we know, about 20% of the students take up 80% of our energy and any place we can find to pause and be positive is great.  This will also help foster connection and community in the online environment. 

Sign In to comment