Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student retention requires showing instructor support and encouragement to the student.  Retention is improved when the resources of the course is sufficient for students to understand the material and become capable of working on the homeworks and other assignments.  All of these factors will never create an environment of 100% retention because the students' level of effort is needed to make it through the class successfully. 

We want to retain our students and in doing so we want to have not only frequent connections with our students but also quality interactions.

I found it interesting that across the industry of education that efforts to retain students was moderate at best.  I know it's front and center at my institution - it's called SOS - Save Our Students.

The foundation of building a collaborative, supportive online learning experience is establishing rapport, trust, and agreement on goals and action plans.  It requires the instructor to establish a point of contact, proactive, ongoing communication, and being responsive to questions and comments.

I think one of the biggest points for me was the difference between customer service and Helping Professions.  It is important to remember that our job is not necessarily to please our students (although, of course, we want them to be happy) but to help them be their best. Sometimes that isn't fun or comfortable, but we want them to succeed.

Engaging and retaining online learners, like many instances in education requires building meaningful professional relationships. This is something I live by! Learning ways to engage with students online is supper important to what I do.

Working alliances are the professional relationships between students and administrative personal. It is the process that involves the establishment of rapport, trust, and a mutual agreement about goals and action plans. Building strong working alliances with online students is fundamental to increasing positive student outcomes. Building rapport with your students is am essential strategy to online learning.

it is important to present information to students in a way where the learning process is painless, interesting, and promotes initiate ans self discovery

Mutual engagement is key in distance /online learning.

As educators, we need to interact with our students and model good environment for students to participate and suceed during the teaching course. At the beginning of any course we need to direct them how to conduct the course and engage the students to compromise themself to succeed. Despite they need to pass quizzes to get good grades, as educators we need to improve the learning process not only to passing courses but to gain critical thinking about the learning getting. We also allow them to receive tutoring and extra help during the course.

Continued building of alliances is certainly a goal to exceed the expectations of a positive campus climate.

The student that in the classroom today is much different than the student that sat in my classroom 29 years ago when I started teaching.  Social media, instant response, social pressures, and the value of education have all changed the behavior and attitudes of today's students.  When we understand that these students are different and need to be reached in a different manner, education can be successful.  

Students who may be too shy to speak up about difficulties can be enoouraged by the faculty to bring up issues.  Once the rapport with faculty is established in this way, we can discover how to respond to studetnts' needs.

Margaret   D:

The Working Alliance allows students to develop trust that the instructor is really interested in their progress and is there to help them. Feeling connected will encourage retention.

It is important to establish clear expectation of the students code of conducts in the online classroom. I considered that if students know from the beginning what the teacher expects communication will becomo smother.  Also that working allience and creating a sense of belonging to the institution can create a possitve learning environment and can retain students.  

considero que forma de retener estudiantes, es fortaleciendo el sentido de pertenencia a la insitución educativa, que se puede reforzar con la formación de grupos y actividades extracurriculares.

I have learned that contact and empathy with students is a fundamental factor for student retention, that it is necessary to have contact with students from the beginning, providing them with different forms of contact at all levels, administrative, technical and teaching, and the importance of providing a timely response to all their needs must logically be analyzed to which area corresponds to resolve each situation raised by the students.I plan to dedicate more time to establish an initial contact with my students, be more empathic and proactive in my communication and improve more in my response time never exceeds 24 hours, but I will try to respond immediately to any query made by my students.

Harmony will reflect positively if the administrative team and teachers work as a team to serve our students.

The branding of the university can be one of the points to take into account in the development of our brand, also taking into account academic factors, clear rules, prompt customer service, etc.

Hello.
This learning module has been very important. The biggest lessons I take with me are retention and attrition factors. Vincent Tinto is one of the great authors of this theme. It is also important to create a positive campus climate and differentiate between customer service and professional student help. The best practices have been very helpful.
I wish you the best.

La vinculación escolar, o más específicamente, la falta de vinculación es un concepto clave para capturar el proceso a través del cual los estudiantes se desconectan de la escuela y, por tanto, es un indicador crucial para pronosticar los riesgos de abandono escolar.

Sign In to comment