Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The biggest obstacle that I have run into as an online instructor is student procrastination and their overestimation of their technical skills. I am learning through this course that it is greatly my responsibility to creative an online learning environment that keeps students engaged and on track. 

Really useful tips on how to help students combat procrastination. Students often do this but I had never really had any good tips on how to help them stop. Students underestimating how long it will take to complete coursework is probably the primary issue, and the course lays out the various reasons for procrastination more clearly and succinctly than I've seen.

The principles of a good practice are an excellent guide for me as a online instructor.

In this module, I have learned the seven principles for learning were developed as guidelines for instructors to improve teaching and learning process. I will apply in my courses the seven principles of good practice: (a) encourage contact between students and instructor, (b) develop reciprocity and cooperation among students, (c) encourage active learning, (d) provide prompt feedback, (e) emphasize time on task, (f) communicate high expectations and (g) respect diverse talents and ways of learning.

I learn to manage the time to show the student distributed them in parts.

The responsibilities of students and teachers as stated are clear consise and realistic.  Very critical for both to engae with and adhere to for continuued success.

As always, I value all information on how to guide students on time managment skills as this is crucial in the onlin learning environement. 

SO MANY TIMES STUDENTS BECOME OVER WHELWED WITH TO MUCH WORK AND NOT ENOUGH TIME

As an instructor, I must allow students to take responsibility for their success.  I must remember that they are still finding what works for them to manage their time to ensure they are successful in all they are doing for their future.

The 7 Principles of Learning was new to me. I think I will share it with my students since it provides a roadmap for success for both the instructor and the student.

I learned about the seven principles of good practice and how important they are to the students. 

The seven principles of good practice include:

1. Encourage contact between students and instructor
  2. Develop reciprocity and cooperation among students
  3. Encourage active learning
  4. Provide prompt feedback
  5. Emphasize time on task
  6. Communicate high expectations
  7. Respect diverse talents and ways of learning

I have learned that online learning requires certain skills in order to be successfu. Teachers and students must practice time management skills, avoid procrastination and passive learning, and be presented with the 7 online learning principles to be a guide as they learn.

The 7 principles are interesting and I'll be checking that I'm in alignment.

Learning the 7 principles of instructing was very helpful.  Definitely techniques I will use in my instructor style.

Being able to adhere to the 7 principles of teaching will help aid in the success of the student.

Undesrtanding the 7 principles will help to guide the students to reach their goal.

The importance of recognizing the pitfalls students should avoid. As a teacher, I think I will better inform students how many hours outside of the classroom are expected. 

I would say that the studnet must work a plan to be successful in the field of study they enter. The must have good time management skills and be ready to take on teh mentality that they must plan for success or they will fail. 

Netiquette is my mian take away from this lesson. We learn about incivility in the classroom and I think we forget how easily it can be noted in the online environment as well, espeically since we lose out on the ability to analyze nonverbal communication. 

Important to have good student instructor interactions esp with on line

Sign In to comment