Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Failure to plan is a plan for failure. i agree 

I like the way this laid out. It shows ways to interact with the student, how to improve communication ans commitment. I have a lead in discussion. I am going to direct more of what to look for.

I found the table of best practices when communicating course expectations, helpful.

Time management is critical. Everyday schedules and events can rapidly change the flow of activities. It is very important to plan couse tasking and assignment in a manner that allows for external situations. 

Having an understanding of the 7 principles of learning is key to online learning success. 

In order for students to get the most out of the online discussions, their faculty need to encourage them to be substantive in their posts. Faculty should not be giving full credit for every post a student makes. There should be additional details included that help to further develop the discussions about the topic. Faculty can ask additional questions to get the students thinking more critically.

The principals of learing

Our goal is to help the syudemt to define what sucess means to them.  We help the shape their career goals.  We show tham that goals are interactive.  We help them learn to balance goals and areas of their lives.  We teach them proper formats for inteaction.  We key them into the pitfalls and provide lessons to help the become successful students. 

Understanding the 7 principles of learning is a great foundation for online classroom environment. 

It is important to respoect and take into account different ways/styles of learning

I really like the RESPECT idea for online communication. Clear and to the point. 

students can fall into many pitfalls when it comes to online learning and one of those would be procrastination and not realizing how much time is involved with an online class.    I will help provide the students with guidelines to keep them on tract.

I plan to copy the RESPECT model for netiquette into my current online classes.

A lot of the advice and guidance harkens back to lessons learned in the previous century... was 1996 really that long ago? The "think before you speak" reminds me of advice from my father, along with the "communicate with control" i.e., don't let your emotions run rampant (reel it in) and make every effort to be courteous -- this netiquette reminder is a good way to start the class, and to refresh if students lose sight of the community spirit.

The 7 Principles of Learning is my biggest take-away.  In my setting faculty is comprised of professionals that have become educators, not professional educators.  I can tie the 7 Principles to policy related to online course facilitation & student interaction as I create/redesign faculty onboarding. 

Empathy for students who struggle online is an asset for any instructor. I have constructed courses for online learners. I never considered that students might have difficulty working in this format.   

Communication and the seven principles of learning.

Guide the learners that are new to on line learning to secure retention and success. Gauge their skills so as not to have them overestimate their technology skills and procrastinate turning in the assignment. Only to find out the work was not completed because it was too much work and enough time was planned to complete the assignment correctly.

The 7 principles were really eye-opening

I like the idea of providing students with roles in the online environment such as a leader, facilitator, recorder, and reporter. I believe to some degree it could also be helpful in a synchronous environment with a little creativity. 

Sign In to comment