Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important to communicate with students and make it clear so they may understand what you are saying.

It is important for students to understand what say to them. Have more discussions and interactions. Use tips and examples.

The learning disability is typically not as readily observable as a physical disability; therefore, there may be no obvious sign of the disability. The procedure must be implemented to ensure all students are accommodated and no student is faking the disability. It is essential that instructors understand the disability and provide appropriate accommodations.

Community knowledge is greater than the sum of individual knowledge. 

In the Preparing Students to Become Good Online Learners course, module two, Non-Technical Skills I learned that online instructors have to teach their students about being a good online citizen. Also, similar to traditional classrooms, students need to be instructed on the importance of becoming a good reader and writer. Good reading and writing skills are needed for all forms of education. Student participation, the feeling of being part of a community and effective communication are characteristics required for student success.

In an online class effective communication is important. It is important for students to understand the expectations involving effective communication. Instructors have to model for students what effective communication looks like. It is also important that students learn how to communicate in different ways in an online environment. Creating a CoP allows students to feel a part of a community while working on communication skills.

A lot of students know how to text very well.  But they often forget when they send emails or type essays that they should not use text.  Therefore, it is important to take a few minutes to discuss the proper vocabulary and writing skills students should use when typing assignments or sending professional emails.  I learned that it is also important to teach students the proper way to cite information.  Therefore, it would be great to take at least one class section to have activities set up to help students learn about how to cite information.

Good communication is so important in the online learning course because we can't rely on nonverbal signals to help send our messages.  I liked the acronym CPA.  I had never thought about using exit tickets in the online environment.

Good online citizenship information may include specifics about plagarism, copyright issues, and academic honesty policies.

I specifically learned about Jigsaw Cooperative Learning Groups and look forward to using that strategy with my 9th graders, but also applying the constructivism concept of using authentic problems for them to solve as they study our Earth Science content/issues.  That should underscore exactly why it is important to them to understand Earth Science (why thay are tasked with studying it).

While reading through the module concerning exit slips and ensuring participating by all students, I wrote in my notes that once I indentify those students who may be reluctant to participate, I could email them the exit slip questions in advance so they can jot down notes as we go through the content and review. So often even with adult learners (me) it is the blank screen or piece of paper that intimidates, particularly when one is also fearful of being wrong.  I hope this may bring some of my more timid kids out of their shells.

Conducting oneself in a professional manner is expected in all aspects of online learning.  It is the instructors responsibility to provide resourses on what constitutes such professional expectations.

Communication is key. It must be clear, professional, and appropriate. This can be challenging as the course is not F2F, but that makes it more important. Instructors can model the type of communication they expect, as well as provide students with tips and feedback to become better communicators. 

We spend 80% communicating with others.  Teaching students how to appropriately communicate via email is important, such as inserting a "topic/subject" in the subject line, using bulleted points for organization and proofing before sending.  

Just as teaching good citizenship in our traditional classrooms is critical, it is also critical and more complex in the online environment due to the lack of face-to-face (F2F) communication. Communication should be focused, consistent, clear, complete and consise. Teaching communication is essential to student success. Developing a policy for academic honesty is a must to communicate at the beginning of the course. As well as remind students of their committment to honesty throughout the course. I can see adapting exit slips into discussion boards as a viable formative strategy.

I know that how you communicate with students can make a diifference in how they perceive you. I've learned that some students will take to a fence if you don't have great communication skills. It's always best to read over everything that is written for grammatical error and tone of voice in writing. I've learned from my own mistakes with this.

In order for our courses to be successful online we need to be effective communicators and we need to clearly communicate our expectations to our students about how to communicate. I know personally, I tend to process information quickly, and I tend to overlook my errors when I submit messages, and I know that can lead to a lot of confusion- I need to make sure that I take the time to carefully double check my messages before I send them out. 

Practice of reading and writing is essential to continued success in online learning and any learning setting.  Communication is vital in order for the instructor to begin to shape the community of the class and the CoP.  Constructivism style of teaching provides the opportunity for team based learning and further community development to occur in the course. The student and instructor's reputation is also based on how well each communicate - Remember CPA!! Clear Professional Appropriate!  Check your spelling and grammer!

You need to add a academ honesty policy in your syllabus or Hoor code, or Academic Interity policy. Online courses take longer to do than F2F classes. Put a rubric up online for wrting activities. Text to speach software will read back what you wrote so you can see if it makes sense. A community of practice is a group of individuales who have similar tasks or goals for solving problems

The concept of developing a CoP is new knowledge for me and something I will study on a little more 

Communication in the online classroom is important for everyone involved.  If there is a breakdown in communication the students are at risk of not succeeding and the instructor may not get the right understanding of what the student needs.  It is amazing how many ways that we communicate and how some of these ways are not represented in the online classroom.  This is definately a challenge for some instructors and students.

Effectiv communication between the students and the instructor is essential. It is vital that the instructor provide various forms of communication so all students have the ability to communicate eff. 

Sign In to comment