Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Not a fan of this module. How many people read small online group posts and know if work is plagerized. How many heard people say something many times but never knew where it came from. Obviously if something is flat out copied and pasted it is wrong. I just don't see this as rampant in small classroom environments.

Preparing students to be successful online learners should be outlined in their course syllabus.  The online student should be open-minded. self-motivated and have great digital critizenship skills.

Each instructor needs to have clear expectations for communication.  Using short cuts and slang may sometimes be appropriate but depending upon the class and format, it is reasonable to ask for communication to be done in a more formal manner.

I have learned that online students need to develop good citizenship, reading and writing skills, participatate and be actively engaged in the online activitie and be able to effectively communicate. I will ensure that I include information on acadamic integrity policy in the online sylllabus. 

Students have a diffculty focusing because of environment and its up to the online instructor to create a safe place online for teaching can be received and learning can take place. However, this is a 2 fold agreement where the study needs to be a good online citizen, do not plagiarize and respect guidelines for proper online communcation.

I liked seeing that 80% of our waking hours we are communicating. This brings home the importance of teaching it in an on line program

Non technical skills are just as important as technical skills in online learning and we must take those into consideration as well.

I plan to incoroporate supports to assist my students in non technical supports such as reading and being effective communicators. 

It is important to vary your communication to your participants.  You must set the tone and expectations for how communication should occur.  The expectation should occur at the beginning.  You should be able to incorporate varied styles of teaching to adjust to your student's styles of learning.  

Ensure to address any issues that the students may have with a solution and by using thier own words as a summary to ensure that they understand the solution to thier problem

I learned that having a sense of community and appropriate communication is imperative to ensure that there is no miscommunication and isolation within the online learning environment.

I learned in this course that a students participating in assignments, discussion and communicating via emails or text is important for the student. 

I've struggled with the use of discussion boards in the past because they didn't seem to apply to the content taught.  But, now I have an idea to use them for developing student study/success skills.  I also see the value of a wiki for some of the discussion.

Clear concise communication is key to success.

Communication has to be effective in order to yield desirable outcomes.

Being a great online citizen is good for all the students.

Based on the objectives of this module it is necessary to know and implement the importance of good online citizenship, reading and writing skills, participation, engagement, Community of Practice and effective communication. Following all the recommendations in this module, will let us to have an optimum online learning environment that promotes the success of our students.

I love jigsaw style activities and they can be designed for any class setting and multi-level classroom need. Having each student assigned a particular part and coming together to see just how important and powerful working as a team can be is exciting to watch.

Being aware of how we come across to students is very important; professionally, consise, and in a timely manner.

I agreed with the course when it stated that effective communication should be clear, professional, and appropriate.  People want to be spoken to respectfully and know that their opinion is valued.  With this in mind, I will be sure to model the kind of language I want to be shared in my courses by being sure to speak/write at all times in a clear, professional, appropriate manner.  When appropriate speech/behavior is consistently modeled, it will be returned.  

Preparing students how to learn online, giving them the resources to complete the course sucessfully. Being mindful if students are having difficulties, become unmotivated or nonexistant from the platform. This is where clear and consise communication is imparative for not only student sucess but that of the instructor. 

Sign In to comment