Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I found this interesting as I saw alot of the same issues arise in an online classroom discussed in this content. I personalized it at first, but now realize that these are natural conflicts that can arise in an online environment. I found the recommendations provided useful and I plan to apply them. Another interesting area of this content are the generational communication styles. This makes sense when working with adult learners in a college setting. I think the most difficult is when you have different generations, cultues, and learning styles all combined into one classroom. This becomes more difficult to accomodate, however I think applying alot of these tools when eliminate some of the conflict and open the communication for students to have a platform to express what works and what doesn't.

Feedback should be timely and appropriate.

There are generational differences in how people communicate and interact with technology

Remembering to take into consideration Students Gereration identity, how it may affect the online learning. Several charateristics are needed for a student to be successful: Open mindness, verbal & written communication, timemanagement etc.

Generational differences are important when understanding student communication/behaviors.

Student and instructor engagement is important during an online course.

making she students understand to communcate 

As the instructor, I must teach students the importance of participating in their online learning experience.  I must ensure that students are responding in the discussion boards and participating in all aspects of class..

Reply to Aricka McCauley's post: Reply to Aricka McCauley's post:  I loved your advice, "If a student is not effectively communicating with you, have a conversation about how you are not understanding what the students needs from you and maybe the two of you can come up with a cleaner communication line."   I realize I need to make a point of individually speaking with those 'silent' students earlier to come up with a better communication line instead of waiting until their grades go down to speak with them.

As an instructor, it is important for me to understand the generational dynamics of my class and develop a communication style that can be effective for each student. This will require a combination of individual outreach as well as setting a trend for community as a whole. 

Helping student to communicate online is difficult because many factors come to play ie their skill level in computers, their generation aspects, their learning style couple by level of conversation comfort between themselves and others.  Instructors must be agile in providing support and encouragement when needed.

Code of conduct for communication needs to be clearly articulated in the syllabus and the instructor needs to role model the desired behaviors

Students in an online course need to be self-motivates ad have good time management skills, just to name a few.  I will add this information to the syllabus.

Big take away:  use expressive writing to create better communication because of the lack of social cues missing in online learning classes. 

Understanding different generations of students is important to understand why a particular student may or may not communicate well in an online class. 

I've 'learned that different age groups fall into different understanding and learning styles. example Baby Boomer , Generation X, Generation Z, and Millenials. Some are visual, technical, verbal and digital learners. The instructor would have to distinguish the student's learning style in order to create appropriate feedback and knowledge.

Be aware of your different generations and their learning and technology skills. It is important to understand why a student is taking an online course. 

Nice to be reminded of the type of behavior instructors need to model in an online classroom.

Setting the example by showing self-discipline, time management and proper online communication. 

Generational differences should be considered - as a Gen Xer myself, I often find it difficult and frustrating to communicate with Gen Y and Gen Z - not only are tech & communication skills different, professional behaviors and conduct are different as well. This is an area where I personally need to model more consideration so that my team sees that. 

Sign In to comment