Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learned the importance of using the proper technology toos.

I never thought of social media to be place of virtual classroom communication. This has certainly open up more options for myself as an online instructe. Definitely something I will be utilizing in the very near future.

There are many technology tools available and teachers must seek out which ones are best for their students' needs. The purpose for the tool must also be identified. 

Communication within an online course is paramount for student success. Virtual communication can be achieved by email, chat rooms, Zoom/Skype or social media.

It is important to research the pros and cons of different forms of communication. There are many different ways to communicate with students. 

Instructors should use different forms of communication to ensure that students can being communicated with. Social media can be used  but it needs to make sure it is focused on the intended focus of the class.

To build an online community, students will need a tool for communicating with each other.

Communication can take many form in an online class.  Where some are better suited then others.  The teacher must find the right balance and usage of platforms.  I'll try to get out of my comfort bubble and start experimenting with Twitter and Instagram for classroom comunication.

Choosing the correct tool doesn't have to be an end-all unreversible decision. You should reassess your tools and implementations along with course evaluations.

Choosing the correct technology tool can determine whether students are able to understand your message and complete what you are asking them to do. 

Communication is vital

I learned to research the best tool for your need. 

Thereare so many techonlogical tools It could be overwhelming to novice's like me, as a matter of fact it ic more likely that the students could tell me alot about these tools. to that end I would definetly follow the lead of the students with a majority considered on which tool whould be used.

I've used Remind and GroupMe for supplemental communication in the past, but had not considered the options of fully incorporating it into an online course. The idea of using social media in a course was also something I had not seriously considered as it was not part of any online courses I've taken in the past. 

Find the right online tool to help you in your course, when you find it see if it is working and continue to perfect it if not find another tool

In the Online Language: Communicating with Students course, module one, I learned the importance of analyzing the communication tools that are currently being used within the class. To continue, getting student feedback throughout the course is critical to ensure the student is not struggling with the class due to a communication tool that could easily be modified by the instructor. Lastly, the end of class evaluation needs to include key questions pertaining to the communication tools used within the class so that the class is modified based on student responses.

This course content is timely. I am working to develop some end of the year professional learning for instructors in my building which includes both pieces of reflection on their recent remote learning experiences as well as planning to ensure learning does not depend on being face-to-face (F2F) moving forward.

The three lenses of communication: instructor-to-student (I2S), student-to-instructor (S2I), and student-to-student (S2S) will be helpful in structuring the reflection and planning activities. In our quick transition to remote learning, I think the focus was mostly on I2S and S2I. Student emotional well being and safety were a priority as well as an emphasis on staff connecting with students. The next step seems like intentionally planning to develop a class community that does not depend on being F2F. Using S2S communication will be a valuable additional layer to consider as our instructors plan for the fall.

An additional takeaway were the course reflection questions. Part of our reflection at this point includes identifying what worked and didn't work regarding communication, technology, content delivery, and connections/relationships. However, the feedback the course reflection questions gathers provides a greater perspective than just the instructors. These, or modifications of, will be a great addition to build in as we think about improvement.

There are so many different forms of communication tools available for online classes.  It is so very important to make sure that the students have access to whatever form you chose.  In making your selection, you must investigate each tool and their functions to assure it meets your needs.  These tools need to be evaluated throughout the course and at the end.

This lesson taught me many different reasons to use certain online tools. The correct type of online tool can help make the message come across the class correctly. I also learned about the need to set up rules/guidelines with online tools. For example, setting office hours to check emails and such. 

this module is an excellent reminder that there is more than one way to communicate with students, but it's best to both evaluate the communication tools and set limits on them. As an ESL instructor I can see that the ways I can communicate with students differ by the student level, the type of course and the times. it's both more difficult and easier to engage with students in a pandemic.

Sign In to comment