Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned that engaging students is very important and in fact, it is the most important. Utilizing time-saving strategies such as templates and saving my resources that I can use in subsequent classes allows me to spend more time in discussion and with my students.

My weakness is effectively managing my time so that I provide timely feedback. I need to develop better organization and discipline around this issue. I also need to establish more effective boundaries so that I am not overloaded by feeling like I have to be "online" all the time.

The module provided a nice overview of the challenges associated with online learning and in how having better time management skills can help mitigate them. 

While completing this module I revewed about strategies, ID models, time managment and tips for and efective design of an online course. 

Time management is very inportant and instructor to be available

I learned to make sure I am always planning ahead so that I can be effiecient and effective for my students.

I plan to utilize this information to develop a schedule that allows better work life balance.  

Planning around other things in life is important to time management.

To be a good online instructor you must be able to commuinicate with students in an online manner. You must set boundaries with your time to avoid getting overwhelmed.

Managing life vs teaching is all about balance. Not only is the online environment difficult for students to manage, it can be difficult for the instructor. Typically, the instructor has to balance work and life while ensuring they are present and available to students. This is a difficult task. 

Time managment is crucial in the success of student learning and instructor teaching

With online classes being accessible 24/7, sometimes my students think that I should be accessible 24/7.  Creating a schedule and communicating that clearly to students is essential. 

Organization is critical for effectively teaching online course

Student with no technology skills can provide a big challenge for an online instructor. My strategy is to get those students in the classroom with me or on Zoom and provide them the additional support they need at the very beginning of each term/course. 

Effective planning is key to having a successful online course.

Time Management, being organized, clear communication, polices & Time / Workload.

In the liquid society, sometimes you don't know how to distinguish between work and life. Now with working from home, it seems more difficult to set limits. Plan and limits

Learning online teaching skills to be more effective is a resourceful course for me. It explains all the reasons for the experiences I was having when we had to switch to full synchronous teaching online. Also being a student at the same time it was very hard to manage my time for both schedules. 

There are a few different models for developing online courses. I was only aware of the first one presented to us. 

Establishing boundaries for myself and my students is essential. Time-blocking is important not just for "work hours" but for non-work hours. Teaching from home can often make you feel as if you "never leave work". Turning off my cell phone, shutting my home office door, etc. allow me to psychologically "leave work".  My students have my personal cell phone number (required at my UNiv.) - this often makes them feel as if I am "available 24/7". As such, informing students of communication expectations.  Ex: I will respond within 24 hours. I will not accept phone calls after 5 pm. is essential to create a work/life boundary, to provide students a clear expectaiton for response to alleviate their anxiety, etc. 

Sign In to comment