Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The four O's of course design Origin, Organization, Orchestration, and Outcomes Assessment will guide my course development.

Consistency and labeling, as well as using the correct teaching methods is imperative for successful online learning. I plan to evaluate student feedback to "clean up" my existing online courses.

get students engaged and make sure course is organized for ease to students

Transferring from F2F to online needs to be done in a clear and consistent manner. Instructors need to understand the barriers students may encounter and should be aware of strategies to ensure studen success. Having a welcome messag/greating can reduce students feelings of isolation in an online environment.  I will ensure to frontload content weekly and use some of the strat learned to help my students.

The important take away from this module is that online classes are not just posting your regular curriculum.  Curriculum must be analyzed and put together in a format that focuses on important content and allows students to interact with it in a user friendly way.

Consistency is vital, but the ability to assess that something is not working and needs to be adapted is equally vital.

You must transform your content in order for it to work in the online classroom environment.  It is important to use techniques to increase student engagement in the online learning environment, such as welcome letters, engaging in online discussions, and providing synchronous engagement. 

Online courses need to be user-friendly (organization, repetition of format) but also intriguing and interesting to keep student focus.

Online courses need to be user-friendly (organization, repetition of format) but also intriguing and interesting enough to keep student focus.

I like the method of thinking how I would communicate/evaluate the information in my face-to-face class, and then choosing online options that match my teaching style. 

Consistency, Communication, and Collaboration were the main takeaways. Finding ways to collaborate with students using multiple online tools can help assist with all three.

Once again, so much to think about!  One cannot simply transfer face to face learning to an online format.  The instructor needs to find the right technological tools to not only communicate content but one that matches with their teaching stlye and makes it easy for students to access.

I consider the use of modules to be pretty effective in designing online courses

F2F classes cannot simply be switched over to online classes. Important changes need to take place in order to maintain clarity of materials, continuity, and engagement with students. Courses must also be consistently evaluated and updated for what is working and what is not working. Creating a sense of caring—a personal touch to teaching —is important and can begin with a warm welcome letter and end with a class wrap up. Lecturing does lend well to an online teaching/learning environment. It is also best to stick to one or two main concepts (creating modules can help with this.)

What I took in most was the importance of consistency [in presentation media] -- find an aesthetic which works, apply it consistently to all modules of your course ... and maybe (if other members are on-board) all courses in the sequence/program/department. By doing so, learners can feel comfortable because they only have to 'learn' one general template.

I liked the different ways to engage students at the very beginning of the course, and using multiple strategies to keep them engaged.  the was an interesting section!

From this module, I learned when teaching distance learning classes it helps students to have class work listed on seperated modules.  I learned that I need to find new ways to encourage students to engage in learning. Some students do not want to use technology.  Therefore, to get students to change with the times, I may need to give them computer assignsments using short activities.  Eventually, they may get intrested in using the computer.

To personalize and make online learning more adaptable adn receptive i learned to write a welcome letter, personalized introduction and let my personality been known and seen through my interations.

Online classes should be well organized so that the student learner can navigate with ease. Taking online classes also promotes self-discipline and responsiblity.

Being consistent with course layout will make it easier for students to find/access materials needed. Students will find information quickly and easily. It will make editing and updating easier for the instructor.

Sign In to comment