Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Becoming an excellent facilitator is a skill to be developed over time. With a facilitator type of teaching style, activities become the focus. This teaching style emphasizes student-centered learning and places more of the responsibility for learning on the students themselves.

This module opend my eyes to the various tools instructors can use to enhance only learning, such as blogs.

I have learned to consider the audience and evaluate the effectiveness of the technology tool. Students also appreciate variety. Avoid over-using one tool. Teach, use technology, and listen to the feedback to achieve the desired objectives. 

As an instructor, it is important to have the correct tools to help each student learn in a way that best helps them. Each student may use different methods to learn, and it is crucial to be able to help each student. It is imperative to always look for ways to improve and continue growing to help each student be successful. 

Different tools which can be used and different teaching styles to create a learning environment 

There are many tools available for online learning. It is important for the facilitator to understand these tools and to be aware of learner preference for using these tools.

I see there are many tools to use, but it's also good to use my own style, with good facilitation

There are many different technology tools to use such as blogs, wikis. It is important that Powerpoint that are pre-recorded or voice over are in 10-15 minute increments and then ask questions in between.

This module emphasized that the technology tool should support, not hinder, the teaching and learning process. Instructors should assess each technology tool and obtain feedback from students as to whether to continue to use it or to investigate another technology tool to better serve the instructor and students. I think Stop, Start, Continue is a great way to illicit feedback from students about technology and other instruction delivery methods.  Blackboard has been a great technology resource, as it has many of the tools mentioned built into the platform, like wikis, discussion boards, blogs, and digital portfolios.

With all that the internet has to offer, we, as educators, need to assess the objectives of the course as we choose the right tool to assist in achieving our outcomes. 

We will need to assess the student's ability and availability to the tools. We look at any potential problems that may occur and benefits to the use of certain technology tools. Once we choose the tool, we will need to assess, along the way, any barriers to learning by using the tools chosen and evaluate the results as we move forward.

Reply to Alejandro Sevilla's post: This stuck out with me, as well. I feel that I use each of these styles at some point in my teaching.

Taking time to learn how to use the various technology features of the LMS is important. I find that the more I learn about new tools, the more options I have for learning activities. There are students with various learning styles in our courses so the more tools we have, the better for their learning. 

I am learning how to incorporate the studnet involvement with my style of teaching

First of I learnt about different types of technology tools available for online teaching. Then it was made clear to me that instructor must undrtstand and then match the functions of each technology tool to meet the needs of the instructor and students for that course. In addition, whatever thev instructor's teaching style, facilitation of learning must be incorporated in every style of teaching. Finally, each technology tool must be assessed for its effectiveness in achieving learning outcomes or course outcomes to decide whether or not to continue using that technology tool going forward or look for another more appropriate technology tool for that conline course.

The information regarding tech tools and teaching styles was quite informative. I learned about tools I had not thought of as teaching tools (e.g. blogs and wikis). They might be worth a more in-depth look. I also liked the reminder to perform formative and summative evaluations with students, not only on the course material but also the tech tools

Reply to Arianne Trias's post: I think this is something that is often lost, as we plow forward in our work.

There are many different teaching tools and the best way to figure out which ones will work for you is to reseach the tools and see what exactly they are used for.  When you get into the teaching environment, you can choose which tools will work depending on your students.

As with all types of teaching methodologies, it is important to do a needs assessment and determine thge appropriate tools to enhance both the Instructor/faciltator and student experiences. Both formative (during the course) and summative after the course are also impormative meassurement tools to improve the processes for both the instructor/facilitator as well.

Cheryl

Reply to Doreen Johnson's post:

Doreen,

I agree, matching your teaching style to the available tools are extremely important. I am very visual, therefore, I like to place graphics whenever possible. I also encourgae the students to do the same. I think it makes online teaching/learning more fun.

Cheryl

I look forward to exploring the different ways to teach online, such as voice over PPT, synchronous sessions, discussions, etc.  I have a feeling I will learn to love certain methods and hate others. But much of that is due to inexperience.  What methods have you learned to love unexpectedly?

Sign In to comment