Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students really need feedback. It is how they learn and improve. Without feedback they are not able to understand what they are working on and what they need to do differently.

Great reminder to try to always provide meaningful feedback to improve learning.

Without meaningful feedback from instructor to student after they submit an assignment or assessment or even a project, you can't expect them to improve.  Just giving them a grade isn't enough; they need to know how and why of the grade so they can include information that's required, and it helps them feel their efforts are worthwhile and notices as they progress and succeed.

The importance of rubric, I been using and helps to grade and in the same rubric the instructor can write the comments. And the assessment in order to improve the learning process and improve the  course also.

Rubrics are well defined and described and responsive feedback leading to improved learning is very well explained

What I have learned from this lesson is that effective planning for evaluation is crucial when creating an online course. Rubrics give students detailed instructions for homework and projects. Students gain skills through self- and peer assessment in analyzing both their own and others' work as well as in offering constructive criticism.  Feedback must be given to students during any assessment type (formative, summative, self, or peer) in order to enhance learning. 

Assessment is constant, its principles are the same whether you are teaching in the classroom or online.
I would like to quote that it is: something we do with and for our students, rather than to our students. This highlights the balance of formative and summative assessments, assuring that learning is occurring. Assessments should be planned to ensure its effectiveness. It should provide our students opportunities to enhance the learning process. Same as what has been done in our country as we adopted UBD, rubrics are the most effective tools that provide consistency and transparency. Lastly, innovative ideas like self- and peer-assessment are very helpful tools that assure learning indeed occurs .

Formative assessments are quizzes and examinations used to assess how well students are acquiring content throughout a course. Summative assessments are quizzes and tests that measure how much a student has learned over the course of a course. As teachers, we can use a range of evaluation types to better meet the needs of our pupils. To encourage greater and increased engagement in class activities, we must consider their interests and inclinations. Furthermore, well-designed rubrics assist both the instructor and the student in achieving the course objectives. However, no matter how well-designed the rubrics are, the benefits may not be maximized if students are not adequately informed about them.

Anonymity in peer evaluation may encourage more honest criticism and review. Instructors' duty is to ensure that proper, clear, and thorough directions are supplied for self and peer evaluation to work well. Finally, when providing feedback, the instructor must ensure that he or she pays attention to specifics and thoroughly evaluates each contribution for monitoring and grading. The more specific and customized the feedback, the more beneficial it will be in improving student morale.

I like the idea of structured self/peer assessment.

Peer feedback and self-feedback are crucial for students as they help to promote reflective thinking and enhance learning outcomes. Peer feedback provides students with opportunities to receive feedback from their peers, which can help them to understand different perspectives and evaluate their work from different angles. Self-feedback, on the other hand, encourages students to reflect on their own work and assess their progress, strengths, and areas for improvement. Both types of feedback help students to develop self-regulation skills and become more responsible and independent learners.

In addition, using rubrics is important because they provide clear and transparent criteria for assessing student work. Rubrics help to communicate expectations and standards, and guide students in understanding what is expected of them. By using rubrics, teachers can ensure that assessment is fair, consistent, and objective, and students can understand the basis of their grades and the areas in which they need to improve. Rubrics can also be used to facilitate self-assessment and peer assessment, as they provide a common language for feedback and evaluation.

Lastly, meaningful feedback is vital for students as it helps to promote learning and growth. Effective feedback should be specific, timely, and focused on the task and the process of learning. It should highlight strengths and areas for improvement, and provide suggestions for how to improve. Meaningful feedback should also be actionable and encourage students to reflect on their own learning and set goals for future improvement. By providing meaningful feedback, teachers can help students to develop a growth mindset and become more motivated and engaged learners.

I understand the importance of providing meaningful feedback to students to enhance their learning experience and promote their success. I believe this information is useful in improving how I provide feedback to my students. By connecting feedback to learning objectives, being frequent and specific, providing a variety of ways to deliver feedback, and avoiding negative connotations, I can help students increase their knowledge and skills.

Furthermore, I need to focus on providing information to increase learning rather than justifying grades. By doing so, I can emphasize the importance of the assignment or project and show that I care about the students' success.

Dear colleagues,

I intend to apply the distinction between meaningful feedback and feedback to justify a grade.

This is important, and I tend to align the rubric with the feedback.

Regards.

"Hit the Target"

In giving assessments it is important for a teacher to clearly hit the targeted competencies. Sometimes teachers put quiz questions that were not emphasized in the resources or give too generalized feedback on student works. These mechanisms fail to effectively and efficiently measure student learning and guide them to better improve their understanding.

Assessment-designing is an essential part of education since it gauges if we truly have hit the mark of learning.

Assessment is a way to judge student learning and teaching effectiveness. It can be formative (ongoing) or summative (end-of-course), with each serving a different purpose. Formative assessments (e.g. non-graded quizzes) help improve instruction while summative assessments (e.g. tests) prove learning. Rubrics are a useful tool to ensure consistent and transparent grading. Effective assessment plans should balance formative and summative assessments and tie to course learning outcomes.

Assessments are tasks intended to measure the student's competence in the course or modules as well as learning objectives while also providing a chance for improvement. By implementing evaluations, educators may enhance their instructional strategies.

Feedback is a crucial part of the evaluation. Regardless of the method of delivery, clarity is essential in both the instructions for the evaluation and the feedback.

Align your assessments' criteria to learning objectives-

Particularly if the assignments are explicitly evaluated and graded, assessment activities should be in line with learning objectives. The levels of expected student success for each learning objective should be indicated via well-designed assessments.

Ensure the assessment rubric is clearly worded-

You should have a clear understanding of the goals your students should pursue as well as the necessary traits or abilities to gauge their success. In the objectives for learning and grading rubrics (if utilized), these requirements should be made clear. Rubrics are a simple way for you to explain each assessment's requirements.

Make sure the assessment guidelines and feedback are accessible and student-centered-

Feedback must be customized to the assessed learning objective, providing students understanding of how well they met it and providing them with recommendations on how to do better. Instructions should be clear to students and oriented toward them. When providing feedback, think about offering students real-world examples of how a "good" answer may be presented or directing them to resources that will help them comprehend the criteria for the assessment.

Consider balancing formative and summative assessments-

Ungraded or low-stakes exercises known as formative assessments allow students to 1) learn by doing and 2) test their comprehension of the material. Before the higher-stakes assignment, formative assessments may be utilized to familiarize learners with new advances in technology. At the completion of a module or course, summative assessments, which are graded assignments, formally evaluate student learning.

I learned different ways of giving feedback, and the importance of giving specific feedback in a positive tone.

It is important to have meaningful feedback that is connected to learning objective.

It is important to have different ways of assessment and for me try self assessment with students. I never done that before.

Hello

I consider very important the rubrics, what I really want to apply is to provide accurate guidelines, so students have clear ideas on how to work a project of tasks,

Kind regards

Learnt about the various techniques of assessment. Specifically, I learnt about rubric creation

Hi All,

Thanks to this module I can better understand the impact that rubrics has on the expectation and learning process.

I´ve worked with students based on rubrics but I wasn´t completely aware that giving this rubrics to the student in advance is how we both will be able to also provide constructive feedback to improve the learning experience.

Regards

Sign In to comment