Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Good information on various types of learners and how to resolve issues in the online classroom environment in a fair and equitable manner.

I learned how to handle students who are bad procrastinators. Being a procrastinator as well it was interesting to learn that we can help students by 1.) Informing them of their upcoming deadlines, and 2.) sending progress reports. I will use these tips in the future to help motivate students to complete their work ina timely manner. 

Communicating with students through email is the highest method of communication and is also extremely convenient.

I try to communicate at least 2 times a week with the PDs on both, attendance, grades, and behaviors of students (i.e., late with assignments, attitude, etc.). I think it is a team collaboration and sometimes the PD has to help me in really getting to the student and navigating the way THEY learn. It requires a lot of flexibility and consistent communication. 

Attrition matters with both employees and faculty. 

This session provided infoormation on how to keep records of the different types of communications the instructoor engages in with students. Private communications should be kept private. Know how to organize and arrange the correspondences in groups and how important they are. Refer students to appropriate areas where they can find the information they need. Identify the different types of disruptive behaviours and how best to handle such behaviors based on institution policies.

With so many differing personalities, there are sure to be some situations in the online learning arena to challenge us as instructors. It's important to know the policies that are in place to help us manage our virtual classrooms and how to best help each student.

I learned how important and convenient email communication can be when dealing with students.  The security and ability to save the emails is invaluable.

Online counseling is effective by email.

Communication and discipline are important

In this module I learned the importance of being familiar with the institution's guidelines and policies. Communication is so important especially when it comes to different personalities. Good record keeping is important to document and easily retrieve information when needed. 

Student success in an online learning environment can be difficult without good communication. You don't have the same environment where students can ask questions on break or clarify material after class. Establishing communication early is imperitive to their success. 

There are several challenges with student retention in any learning environment, but especially so in online learning where students feel less connected to the instructor. When I have students that have competing responsibilities -- which seems the most common issue and one of the hardest to combat -- I try to remind them of their long term goals to help get them back on track and see beyond the immediate crisis.

In the module I learned to refer to institutions policy and procedure as it pertains to disciplinary matters. 

Comment on Tambra Moser's post: Thud us true because of the real-time nature of that form of communication. 

Learning about the different ways to keep the students engaged while teaching an online course. 

The Code of Conduct, institutional policies and analytical introspection are useful tools when attempting to present required material.

Judicious consideration when dealing with multiple personalities and personal/professional objectives can most definitely obscure the intended lesson(s), however, professionalism and diplomacy are keys to the success in delivering the required material.

I’ve learn that Disruptive's can hi jack your class online.

To avoid that happening block them being apart of the discussion. Until they are ready to learn.

I understand that you will meet in your class Disruptive STUDENTS & Procrastinator , NOISY STUDENTS. Can be very distraction.

So keep them busy and engaged.

Direct them to email you Personally but not in the group feed for directions.

So the focus will be on them to complete the task the Instructor give them.

While the behaviors are no different from those that are exhibited in the traditional classroom, the e-learning environment  behaviors are manifested is quite different. In the traditional classroom, you can observe and immediately modify or correct undesirable behaviors. The e-learning environment could create a challenge for managing such behaviors. That's why it is important to address such behavior in a respectful and responsible manner 

Sign In to comment