Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really like the idea of implementing a general discussion board in addition to the discussion board for class assignments/topics. I would like to implement this practice.

On the first day to have students write a short bio, to get to know each of them on a personal level. 

I learned a better way to organize my biography for students. I'll divide it into three sections: academic credentials, professional experience, and special interests.

Hearing student's stories

Projecting my presents online and making a connection with the students on a professional level as well as a personal level.

By including information on my hobbies, family, pets, and other points of common ground, my students may perceive me to be more accessible.

Information in my bio on hobbies, family, and pets, for example, can help me appear more accessible to my students.

The introduction discussion is a critical element of establishing relationships with students.

Gaining trust of the students is the first thing for me. The students have to have trust that we know what were talking about, and there are lots of "fake it till you make it" teachers out there.

I learned that the students need to feel comfortable with the knowledge that their instructor is an expert in his or her field

A good start to student engagement is by introducing yourself and your resume to your students while also engaging them by having them share a small biography about themselves and their experiences. These are essential first steps to a positive learning atmosphere and getting your class off to a good start.  

In this last section we learned the importance of establishing a person relationship with each student and to find out the needs that will help the student with this learning process. Be there and be present.

I actually learned quite a bit about how to get a little more personal with
students via the personal biography. I will definately be using that idea
in the future.

I have been teaching online since March. It was reassuring to learn that I have been establishing bonds with my students from the first week of introductions, and that has been crucial to building strong relationships of trust with my students which makes their learning environmnent a more successful experience. 

I enjoy having my students give a little bio and I give one of myself. It helps some communication between us and gives me something to identify so I can remember their names. It also gives my students an opportunity to ask questions about my background, which will hopefully give them more confidence that I am knowledgeable in the area of this course.

I really liked the portion of how your studetns get to know you, and how to get insight of what they expect from you.

In our new CMS I plan on making a bio clip of me with the printable narration page available.  I'll have the other culinary instructors do the same for their classes.  

I like the idea of having the students write an extended bio to share with the other members of the class  We do that now but there were a few prompts for thte students to get them writing that I found helpful.  

I also just saved a MODEL nutrition project I shared with the other class members.  Good idea and I'll get more examples for when we have a our written projects.  

It is important to share a biography to students because they are entitled to your accreditation, experiences, and qualifications to teach the course. it also allows them to learn more about the instructor that they can use to initiate conversation with the instructor

Introduction of each person to develop a personal relationship with each student is a crucial part of the online learning. On line presencce is important to maintain authority and to make students feel like someone is there to assist them in this environment. This is easily done through an on line presence and clear expectations.

Creating a relationship with students, even though it may be only online, is still as important for an online course as it is for an in-person course. 

Sign In to comment