Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important to achieve the same effects in an online environment as you would face-to-face.   Energy must be put into establishing and maintaining a raport with each student and to individualize your approach to enable the individual's learning process.

I have learned how to begin an e-learning course and how I can project myself to the students. I will apply this to the two courses I will be teaching this year whether they will be in person or on-line. I like it addresses boundaries and expectations right away so there will be no confusion. 

I really liked the idea of having the student introductions. I have been presenting my own credentials in an introduction. But havig a better background on students would imporve the quality of thier education.

The importance of personalization and relating to students as individuals, not "just" as a class.

collaboration

I learned that one way to get to know the students and for them to know about me is to have them as well as myself post a short biography of my credentials and acheivements. By doing this it should help make them a little more comfortable with me and allow myself to get to know them and what they expect out of my class. 

I like the idea of an online short biography of myself and for the students.  I will definitely help build rapport and relationships.

Students will not engage and learn if they do not trust or like you. Students should understand that the instructor has expertice and experience in the subject area. Teachers must give the impression they are approachable and perhaps relatable.

Teachers should project to their students that the teachers have experience and expertice in the subject area. Many middle school strudents may not engage if they do not trust or like the instructor. The teacher must establish that they are approachable.

Just like in a regular classroom, the teacher-student relationship is very important for an online platform. Without it, nothing works. 

To create a community be part of it. I don't mean that the RESUME does the speaking, but at some point there must be meaningful conversations designated for growth. I am firm believer how can you learn about someone if we don't have two things: a safe environment and time. I think that virtual classroom has both. There is no misunderstanding when opportunities are given to speak freely. Although, the virtual classroom needs to have some rules for those heated topics.

Online learning can still be personable.  With todays environment all the more crucial to have that human connection when learning remote.

I will encourage students that live close to eachother to set up face-to-face discussions with each other. I think any kind of real face to face discussion while learning is important. 

I learned that it is important to get to know your students in different ways in an online enviornment, and using a biography is a great way to learn something about them. Using technology in their biography would also be a great way to allow them to showcase their skillset.

I learned that relationships matter. It is important to establish who you are so that it will help your students share who they are.

It is very important to know the face behind the computer or the voice. A very brief and concise introduction of the instructor and also a brief introduction of the students to bridge familiarity in a way and also to build student's self confidence. 

I learned the importance of getting to know your students and supporting them, even when using an online learning platform.

I learned the difference between synchronous and asynchronous discussions and the most appropriate time to use each when utilizing an online learning platform.

It's our duty to get to know our students and for them to know us on a personal and professional level to create that feeling of security and comfort. It will make learning and teaching more effective. 

Educator should share a brief boigraphy of yourself inculde educational credentials achievements, and professional expenence.

Have students post a short biography of themselves to be shared with everyone.

Sign In to comment