Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learn the importance of establishing meaningful and purposeful relationships with students. 

I learned the importance of establishing meaningful and purposeful relationships with students.

V. BARKSDALE

Maintaining my presence from a distance.  I will achieve this by being in communication with learners after each online session, asking questions and getting subject comments.

I really liked the idea of having students post a biography, as a means of getting to know them.  Getting to know students this way allows us to be sensitive to their strengths and needs and also offers an opportunity to begin to forge personal connections.

I liked the idea of creating a general discussion forum where students could discuss topics not directly related to the course. This could help me build relationships with learners as well as the learners building relationships with each other.     

Throughtout this module I learned that in order to establish yourself as a respected authority in the eyes of your students it is important to share who you are and what you bring to the experience.  Letting them know who you are, why you are here, and how you got here helps them trust you and your ability to guide them throughout their learning experience.

Evne though the course is online it is important to build a relationship with your students.  The same strategies used to build relationships with students in a F2F classroom may be applied to online instruction.  The instructor must project themselves over the computer in order to help students feel at ease and help them get to know each other.

I teach advanced ESOL students, and have used most or all the methods mentioned in this Module through face-to-face and Zoom environments.  However, introducing a component requiring asynchronous communication will definitely challenge my students in their ability to write since they are just becoming fluent in speaking English.  However, I can see great value in introducing this early in the course to establish my presence and theirs in an online forum, as well as bringing them forward in developing the skill of writing English, through modeling and practice.   

Presence is important in online learning. Support is a key aspect of presence. Students need to know that they are supported during this time and there are key ways to do so. It is important that we project our authority through highlighting our credentials, experience, and achievements so that students know who we are and feel we are qualified to do the job. Additionally, developing a good rapport with students will ensure that an instructors presence remains felt throughout the duration of a course/class. 

its about classroom management and being supportive.

It is important to develop a working relationship with yor students. You should set times, dates, expectations of discussions, etc. to make the learning meaningful.

I would see myself really establishing the communication piece, by writing a biography or developing a short video clip about myself. I would encourage others to share about themselves as well.

Create another facility in the Course Management System through which students as well as you can engage in asynchronous discussions on topics not related to the course. This is a general discussion forum. 

It is important to know each student individually and for them to know me, my experience and knowledge, credentials

I learned I need to become tech savy enough to run two separate forums for the students. one for course content one for all the other questions a student might ask for their peers. Also a private forum is required for students questions for me.

Even in a e-instructional environment, fostering a positive strong teacher/student relationship is critical to the success of the class. Recommendations include posting an autobiographical, professional bio in my welcome letter as well as creating a student assignment for students to post their interests and course related experiences for all to read. And, to familiarize myself with student posts as a means for creating relevant lessons. In doing so, I can invoke my presense at a distance. 

I have learned that it's a great idea to post a summary of my achievements, maybe in a short video clip.  This makes it personal to see me and they can put a name with a face.  Another thing, I will have my students post a short biography for each class.  

I learned that it is very important to know your learner and for them to know you as well. 
Building a learning relationship.

I Learned how to establish report with your students by first introducing yourself to them and listing your academic credentials.  Then you have them write a short biographical entry about them selfs and hopefully have them read them to the class.  I understand the importance of answering students questions promptly and maintaining a professional atomsphere.  

It's very important to develop a positive relationship with students from day one. It's important to be available to them for one-on-one help if they need it in Zoom or other online communication software.

Sign In to comment