Establishing a relationship of trust between instructors and students can help facilitate a productive learning environment. Students will respect an instructor who can manage their virtual classroom.
I realized that it is important to have students post a biography in the assignments for Day one.
I try to use all modalities of communication. Announcements I try to limit only one per a week (just to make it simply for students) and only put handouts and helpful tips for success. I send weekly remind messages to remind students of due dates of various assignments. And I comment on all students' discussion responses. Further, I try to respond to all emails, messages, inbox messages on canvas within 1-2 days.
I learned that students perform better in their academics when 1.) you are able to maintain your presence from a distance, 2.) you are able to maintain your authority from a distance, and 3.) you establish a relationship with each learner.
I've learned that it is important to have an open dialog with your students to get to know them. I do this already .
It's important for students to know a bit about their instructor, in order to better understand and stay engaged.
I enjoyed learning more about approaches for building a good relationship with learners, and injecting and maintaining confidence in them.
I learned that it is important for me to share with my students my background, credential education experiences.
I like the day one suggestion of having the student do a short bio on themselves to share and also one of myself.,
I've learning allowing your students to know you and to get to know them, helps them feel comfortable and that you care about them
I learned to have an accurate bio with credentials listed.
Being engaged with your student creates a bases for a community.
I try to check in with students when I open the online classroom about 10-15 minutes before.
I learned how to make an instructor's presence and authority apparent when conducting online classes.
I enjoyed the variety of projecting your presence methods presented and found the use of reminders for subject due dates to be very helpful in understanding maintaining my presence in a virtual setting.
The relationship with your students requires modules and strategy for effective communication.
I intend to use this method to get to know my students. Adding personalized methods with each one individually.
I think email and forums are key to communicate with students. That helps project our authority and stablish good relatioship. Plus, personalizing emails is a good way to build rapport.
I learned the importance of establishing rapport with students because they need to know that you are on their side.
As an instructor, post a biography about your achievements and hobbies/interests while encouraging the students to post their own biography. This allows the building of the student/instructor relationship that goes beyond a virtual relationship.