Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The importance of students and instructors ability to understand the use of Course Management System. The e-learning experience will depend on the students ability to navigate through this system with minimal to none systems error. Also, the need for the instructors to comprehend the use of this system to assist students if needed. 

As an effective online instructor, I must be able to communicate with my students in a variety of different ways including email, chats, post, discussion boards, and announcements, to name a few. I must be completely familiar with my CMS, online learning platform, technical support team, learner/teaching applications. I must be creative and keep the students attention during lecture, stimulate questions, and interaction among classmates. I must make sure the students have everything they need to succeed and provide support when needed.

I have learned that students need extra attention and help when they move to an online learning platform, and we need to pay extra attention to the new types of needs that we will encounter. 

One thing that I was unaware of is making a summary of the discussion responses.  I think that is a very good idea!  We have recently taken our course on-line due to the Covid-19 shelter in place order so only recently started to use the forum for discussion questions.

I have developed a blended-classroom model for some of my classes.  There are always students who did not  access or who simply do not have access to online material prior to class, so pacing and available materials and assessments is always impacted by In-Class make-up instruction. Looking at the same courses from the now strictly distance-learning makes several aspects jump back out, such as scheduleing access to materials, assignments and assessments. Many referenced features, infrastructure, and delivery techniques and strategies make me yearn for a more sophisticated CMS than Google Classroom.

Ensuring success as an online instructor you must have a complete understanding of the online environment.  Not just for the instructor but also the student.  Students can become easily frustrated.  Knowing how to navigate the system, both front and back is essential.

I learned that in an online environment soft skills will take an important role.

Student/Instructor Organization, time management, creativity, and other soft skills will help tremendously in developing a successful learning/teaching experience.

In an e-learning environment students rely on their instructors intellectual, emotional and technical support to make learning successful. 

The students need to know that you support them, so we need to provide informative  and constructive feedback  in a timely manner. 

Familiarity is importatnt for the instructor,in order to set expectations and guide students to sucess

I have learned that even though the instructor may know about the content being taught, course expectations, timelines, class structure, clarification of course room tools must also be understood and conveyed to learners.

New to an online course, the students already were familiar with who I am.  I definitely like the idea of the bio for the instructor as well as bio's for each of the students.  I think this is a definite "ice breaker"

When using the Course Management Systems, instructors should make sure that the computer system is equipped with the hardware and software required to access the course. Instructor privileges are important when logging in to course as well as technical support. I have had this problem before, and it is very frustrating. If the instructor is having difficulty logging in or using software, it looks like they are not prepared. 

Online structure and content delivery,can be just as important as the content itself to help students be successful!

What is the best CMS for CTE courses that are mostly lab based?

I have learned that in the E-Learning environment, students must feel comfortable and support in all aspects of the E-learning environment. The Instructor role and responsibilities are not to be taken lightly when instructing students. The students need the support of the instructor which will make them feel comfortable and reatainable, it plays a mojor role in the students success. Engaging students is a way to access the students just as you would do in the classroom environment. I have learned that the E-learning environment is no different than how an instructor will function in a classroom. The difference is technolgy.

Since beginning this course, I have made updates to the modules in my Canvas classes to cover things like knowing how to effectively utilize the LMS, glossaries, and communicating with the instructor and peers. 

I would you what I have learned thus far to enhance my CMS.

I found the information useful, particularly as public schools across the nation are having to move to online instruction.  One concern in my school, considering our particular demographics, is the availability of technology for students.  

It is critical to have IT support to avoid frustrations from students and instructors. It will happen but being prepared for those events is critical.

Having common goals for the team of instructors even if teaching strategies are different.

Have a common organized course structure of the course is imperative to maintain the course flow, especially if taught by several instructors.

It is imperative for instructors to be an expert in the CMS they are using with their learners.

Sign In to comment