Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

A clear message and understanable wording makes all the diiferance in a students mindand the affects are incredible.

I've learned that even adults do not pay attention to deadlines and will push the rules and request you to bend them at times. setting clear expectations upfront is important.

First day of class we cover syllabus, use this also for letting students know there will be no rewards for late assignments, and as semester goes give reminders of due dates.

I always begin class by greeting my students, once they are all ready to go I have a ice breaker with them and make sure everyone is comfortbale in  the classroom. I introduce myself and go over grading, assignments, etc. 

I make it a point to go over my grading policies, as well as provide multiple examples. I want the students to understand just how much each assignment & their professionalism grades will impact their overall final grade.

Going over the syllabus and setting requirements and expectations is a must.  Always find a common ground with students and be approachable.  Show your human side by sharing common experiences.

This first module concerns giving the class an idea how the course information will benefit them in thier careers, as well as explaining  to the students the format of the class, the subjects and skills being taught, the grading of exams and assignment deadlines. This will allow the students to not only know what the requirements of the class are, but to develop an"expectation" of what their progress could be.

The idea of the social aspect of education, i.e. teamwork projects and ice-breaker activities is also discussed, with the purpose of reducing the initial anxiety of being around "strangers", as well as demonstrating the benefits of observing and learning through peer experiences and talents.

An icebreaker helps students get accquainted with each other . Setting classroom rules on the first day and constant reminders of what is expected of the student is a must.

Moodle has the due dates by weeks and love the icebreaker idea started this mod using it. 

This training provided me great insight when preparing a syllabus to include details so the students know their expectations, how they will be evaluated and how their time will be spent during the course. 

It is important to have an ice breaker.  I have one that I use to get to know my students better.  Also, it is important to have group activities and team projects.  This helps students get to know each other and learn how to work together as a team.

Useful information 

I provide my students with my bio, the syllabus, and general housekeeping rules in my welcome email.   The bio helps them learn something about me.  Icebreakers work very well when I speak before business groups and they are a very valuable tool in a classroom.  The students also need to know the answer to the WIIFM question.  They also need to be engaged and know that their opinions matter.  For example, in my Customer Service class, I encourage differing viewpoints because that's how we all learn from each other.

It's also important to set expectations and deadlines, and answer any questions about the syllabus before and as the class progresses.

Work with the student to complete assignments. Be aware that they have different learning styles and complete work at different rates.

As new students enroll in the class it is key to set the stage. Grasping the attention and setting open conversation and team work. As educators we are selling the product of What's in it for me. Deadlines are a criticul part in knowing what is expected education and in the work force, as the syllabus holds all the information, make it clear and concise.

Remind, Post, and review dates for assignments-No excuses for missed assignments!

Videos always help to drive point!

Practice what you teach.  Always show students professionalism in your teaching so that they grasp and learn through example.

First day of class and in course annoucments talk about communication, resources, and open office policy. Stuent need to know about communication so they are very aware of the missing work and help that 10% to better communicate so help them get out of that 10%. Well informed students will get them motaviated to doing good. 

I cover the syllabus the first day and it covers everything student needs to know for the couse.  Very useful information.

Sign In to comment