Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adult learners have previous experiences that they like to apply to their education. It is important to build rapport with your students and learn their learning styles.

Setting a stage for learning is key, through comfort, security, acceptance and self-respect. It has been proven that 60% of student success is based upon the respect they have for themselves. Getting to know your class is as important as it was in ones' earlier childhood eduation. Creating a personalized touch develops a good rapport with the entire class. Keeping students as active learners reinforcs their need and reasons for requiring quality work equals quality retention leading to success; as a proven success rate is  40% higher levels in student achievements. Keeping in mind to keep it light and fun increases the enthusiasium of the learning envirnment.

The note from a speaker stating: "Class can be like riding a horse. If you hold the reins to tight the horse will buck and the ride is rough but if you hold the reins less tighly the more will be learned; and the Horse and the ride is happier."

Doris R. Owens 

Student are new in their careers and need to know that the support given from their instructors is genuine. Make a point to communicate daily with my students give them confident to know that their instructor is concerned about their well being. 

This section did a good job underlying the importance of understanding how to provide the support students need to flourish in the classroom. As a teacher you don't just lecture, but you create a safe, fun, healthy environment for those you are teaching. 

I like the idea of infusing humor or light-hearted fun into the opening of the class period to settle everyone down and prepare for the work.

Structure the course to include student active participation.

Create a learning environment that is not only challenging, but promotes healthy competition and rewards for work done well. 

I recently applied some of these techniques in my first lecture class. i found different times to give certain students who were distracted a chance to answer a question that i knew they would be able to answer. I notice they were asking someone else to explain it to them, so i called on them and asked them a simple questions and elaborated with another follow up question to help them participate but also reinforce that they were able to answer what was being asked from them. Later in the class before ending the class i reasked them to explain to me what we reviewed and the student did a good job of explaining what in the beginning they might have been doubtful of their answer but the second go around they had more confidence in themselves to answer what we were discussing.

If you love what you are teaching, shows the students the excitement you have in a particular field.  

I really like the aspect of the human factor. I think it's importantt to try to connect with students and really take the time to listen.

An instructor’s personal enthusiasm can effectively motivate students. Make class fun/exciting to keep students engaged.

Starting class each day with a good greeting and open discussion helps me to engage with the students and understand how they are felling that day.  If I feel a student is having a bad day, I try to enlighten them by using positive things that have gone on in my day or in other student's day.  It shows them that everyone has these bad days and it can be better by trying to focus on the positives that will go on in class.

I feel it is important to know when too much information has been provided to the students at one setting. Stopping and having the students reflect is a good way to allow them to talk about the information amoung themselves. It gives them some control as well.

Ensure that we are creating and providing a learning environment which is condusive to learning. Respect, creativity, fun, caring, enthusiasm, positivity, and showing interest in teaching all foster a positive learning environment. Students will be highly motivated which leads to more favorable learning outcomes.

Listening to adult learners share about their work experiences is a great method of getting all students in class to join in with participation in class group discussions.

Even though they are adult learners, they enjoy fun antics and lighthearted banter to start the class.

One of the best ways I have found to encourage student retention is to demonstrate a genuine desire to see them succeed in their academic endeavors and professional and personal lives. A second method is to ensure the course material is linked to real-world applications that interest them. In this way, the subject material remains relevant to the target audience, thus ensuring maximum participation and enthusiasm.

Cheers,

Chance

Providing an encouraging and safe environment for learning is a top focus. Ensuring that each day brings added relatable classroom content and methods is what I will continue to strive for.

Respect students by learning their names. Greet and acknowledge students. Make students active participants in learning. Meke learning fun! 

It is important to ensure your students feel safe in the classroom. 

Sign In to comment