Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

From this discussion. I personally have learned how to get to know each student and meet them on their level. I intend to get to know my students during the course and better help them improve their involvement in the classroom. I will work on shutting improper conversations down so negative converastaions will not take over and become negavtive energy in the classroom and rub off on other students.

I am going to have my teachers sit in a student desk prior to the first day of school to see from their perspective.  Is the room clean or cluttered?  Are there instructional materials, expectations, and opportunities displayed in the room?  How are they setting the stage?

Very similar to learning to be a flight instructor.

Good information

I have learned students may have cultural differences. Repeating the information enough so that the student understands the information. 
I have also learned there is a different approac( when applying teaching methods to adult learners and young adults.

I have learned that there are different types of methods to teaching older adults and young adults. I would apply the skills that were discussed to the specific age range of student. I have also learned that there are students with cultural differences. It would be important to repeat the information provided during lecture so that the student understands the information.

It is important to understand where your students are coming from and how they are perceiving the learning environment.

How important it is as an instructor of support to the school to better understand where the students are coming from.

We have to be aware that there are such a variety of students in our classrooms with unique needs....various demographics and perhaps social, cultural, developmental or physical factors may impact their learning, and their perception.

We need to respect and motivate our students.  We need to undersand their life experiences and the knowledge they bring to the classroom

I have found that enabling the students to work together to be accountable with each other in a community for the retention of information and learning has helped improve grades and community setting in the classroom

what I have learned is being present with and for your students is key, to listen and respond, to meet the students needs and keep them ingaged and interested.

Every student brings individual experiences and expectations into the classroom and it is important for the instructor to get to know the students on an individual basis. Also, it is important to be aware of the instrinsic and extrinsic motivators of students. Keeping the classroom a safe and supportive environment facilitates learning.

Open and honest communication, especilly recognizing who you have in the class and how to address needs along the spectrum, while maintaining instructional purpose.

I feel understanding student frustration is a key ingredient to our overall topic of student retention. Being mindful of intrinsic student needs and extrinsic will set the stage for successful student learning. I really appreciate Maslow's hierarchy in helping to achieve student learning needs. 

Utilizing real-life examples helps students connect content with practice.  

Listening to the students is key to their success.  It provides a support system for them.  It enables you to assess learning styles and accommodate classroom instruction to various individuals.

I learned in this section that every student is different and that each student may have their own set of goals and expectations and that as teachers we have to adjust to each of those students.

As an experienced teacher as well as an experienced adult learner, it is very important to encourage "belongingness" to adult students. Many times, the nontraditional learner feels out of place. By reinforcing their decision to be an adult learner, you greatly help with retention.

In addition, as an instructor, it is of the utmost importance to get to know your students. Learning what their prior life experiences are helps connect your academic goals to their life goals and helps relate the new learning with their current knowledge and understanding.

I have learned about engaging in the student experience. We need to examine the individual students career goals and make sure to support them through the progression of the program.

I have learned that you have to meet the needs of each student based on age, disabilit, etc. Also not to change the learning process but also keep the students engaged in order to set them up for success of their goals.

Sign In to comment