Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Great

Engaging in discussions with students is very important to be able to include their life experiences and understand them as people and learners.

Maintaining a student's retention consists of many variables. Ranging from age, cuture, to physical or cognitive disabilities. All revolving around levels of life experiences encompassing one's fear of success, to social connection to academical levels. Finding the need of support systems is often more important from personal circumstances to student frustrations whether they are intrinsic or extrinsic needs.

discussing career goals with students will help teachers find a teaching style that helps all students in the class

This section I learned of going as far as possible to make the students feel as comfortable,safe,secure,in order to have the best learning enviroment possible,setup for sucess,feeling good,i can do this attitude.

Doris R Owens

Students are encouraged to give feedback and to encouraage one another with their ideas and how the course is help them. 

In order to teach with your students in mind, you must understand them and their needs. 

Having discussions with students about their expectations and letting them know the expectations up front so there are no surprises. Then provided the support of their learning by encouraging them to engage with their peers and build a sense of community and belonging.

Being aware of student situations and participating in active listening is key to student retention

i feel like I grasped the understanding of knowing what the student needs to achieve success is what my responsibility is as an instructor and to get them to a place where they know what is required to be successful also.  Encouraging them along the way to learn the new skill they enrolled to obtain will be necessary for execution of their goals.

Being respectful to others needs, while interpreting their anxieties and moods, is vital in getting into their learning, and adapting their learning to include a best practices in your classroom.

To observe students in class/clinicals/labs for signs of discouragement or frustation and to encourage them to voice their concerns. Encourage.

Connect with students as individuals to help facilitate their individual learning needs and goals. 

discuss career goals

I find that including anecdotes from real practice assists students in seeing themselves in the role and how they can apply life experiences to their role.

i have learned how to engage with young adult and adults who have different needs and different perspectives and motives of attending class. I have applied and will keep applying some of the advice i learned from here of how to get a student to engage or involve or keep them interested. By calling on specific students to answer certain questions and getting them involve in a way that nurtures them instead of exposing them. i learned that no one wants to be embarrased or put on the hot seat. i also have learned that by learning the strengths or allowing or calling on certain students to share what life experiences they may have can get them to be involved or attentive in class. 

As a new instructor, this section has open my eyes for many reasons. There are students from different walks in life so I will have to be creative and keep it interesting and even fun to keep students engaged.  I forget that not all people are the same, and learn on different levels.  

I try to remember that there are many different types of leaners and from different age groups. This module was very helpful in pointing out how to help the two.

By getting to know your students, you can learn their obstacles to success and intervene as appropriate by offering advice or support. Referring to those who can assist and by just simply showing you care.

This session confirms what we have discussed in the past.  Listen to students and understand where they are coming from.  As an instructor/teacher, we must adjust to different learing styles and conform to what is best for esch individual learner (young or seasoned).  Our success is based off of their understanding of the material and thier success.  

Sign In to comment