Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Having a clear understanding of the student's intrinsic need will aid in the development to create the extrinsic environment for the best student success outcome. 

When discussing a problem with a student, make them aware that you are actively listening to what they are saying. Respond back with the words they are using to make it clear to them that you are understanding of their concerns

Adult learners are specific.  They are often more motivated because they're in school for specific reasons and to meet specific goals.  They're also often more frightened because they haven't been in school for a while and they may not have had a great educational experience the first time around.  They need to feel secure and supported.

if you cant learn to adjust to diffrent learning habits you probally cant adjust to this lifestyle

I think it is important to utilize student backgrounds and knowledge so that as a teacher you can ensure they are learning at the appropriate level.

Dana Redmond

This section gave me a better understanding of how everyone needs to feel validated, and allowed to bring their life experiences into the classroom. As an instructor you are likely to have a class filled with a wide range of ages, and it is important to remember to teach according to this range, and not focus on any one particular age group.

Cultural competency and the understaning of the struggles each student goes thru is an essential part in teaching students from diverse culture.

The necessity of understanding the different needs of different student groups. based on age, experience or culture and the importance of not aving a one size fits all approach to instruction so i can meet the needs of those different groups.

Connecting the material to the student's aspirations and then faciliating peer discussions which leverage their perspective/experiences.  

It is important to learn the teaching of adult learner and instructor should learn how to listen to the needs of the adult learner to acheve the golas in in thier study.

Discussing student expectations will lend to diverse teaching strategies.  I plan on taking a much stronger look at my classroom environment through the eyes of my students.

I think it is a great idea to utilize career goals as a template for a student profile.  These profiles could be used to ensure all content and skills are related to those goals for each student.

Student retention is very important to the establishment as well as the student, which is most important. Every student is unique and requires support and encouragement based on their personal, short-term, and long-term academic needs.  Because of these differences, planning strategies for retaining students must vary for each individual student, while still maintaining a collective format, for active engagement in the learning process.  With this, it is important to understand the background of each of my students, allowing me the opportunity to gain a good rapport with the student, while finding out how their life experiences have shaped their view of learning.  My role is to listen first, then provide the students with the tools, support, and encouragement they need and look for, in order for them to reach their goals.

Providing a platform for discussion, help us to better understand students' needs and concerns.

I learned to take the time to look at my courses from the perspective of my learners.  I feel like I can always do more to better understand the individual situations a student is dealing with.

Different students need different types of support and us as instructors need to be aware of that. 

I learned making a student feel safe and comfortable is key to helping them achieve lheir goals. I really liked the idea of looking at the classroom from their perspective.

I have learned that not all students feel comfortable in the learning environment due to age, social skills and diversity.

As a facilitator of education, it is imperative to assess your student's needs for positive learning outcomes to occur. 

It's important to remember that the "older" studend has a lot of life to postively contribute to the classroom whereas the ":younger" student may think they can get by and get many chances to complete assignments. 

Both groups have their own battles they must face. That is why the teacher should try to build a rapport and find ways that teaching helps both groups. 

Sign In to comment