Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This module helped a lot to understand the different needs of the students depending on age, culture and diversity and how to help on each situation

Interesting commentary concerning intrinsic vs. extrinsic needs of students .

Good info - interesting how so many different areas of life can affect the learner.

It important to understand your classroom needs and facilitate learning from that information.

I learned the importance of adult learner and how instructors should learn how to listen to the needs od the adult learner.

I loved this statement:  "While accommodating the unique needs of your culturally diverse students, you cannot compromise the knowledge and skill requirements of  the course."  This is especially true in nursing.  Imagine if we "dummied down" skills and let anything simply "Pass."  Would we want them taking care of our loved ones?  

I loved, also, the mention that even one small bit of encouragement can inspire the student to stay enrolled.  It can be something simple, like, "I am so glad you made it on time  today.  I know there was an accident on the highway."  or a rainstorm...  That act of being seen is so important.  It can also be "Thank you for your insight today.  I think it helps your fellow students so much when they can learn from each other."  Being appreciated is SUPER IMPORTANT especially in this world of negativity and complaints.  

Most importantly, NONE of these kind words costs us anything.  In fact, it can cost us more if they are not spoken and they disenroll over something that could be avoided simply by listening or acknowledging.  

I liked the emphasis on how students bring their outside issues into the classroom. It is important to validate their concerns without sinking to the level of complaining with them. 

It's important to listen, to be supportive, to understand the student is much more than just what we see in the classroom.  We need to acknowledge them and keep them encouraged in order for them to succeed.

This is informative I work nontradional students. some of these topics were a reminder of things I encoured in the past.

In this chapter I am reminded of variious learning challagennces that make differcult for learners to learn and stay on track.

I like it when students introduce their self on the first day and submit a short true life summary of their learning needs.

I feel that a few times in the course you have a one on one with the student to get follow up to the student's opinon of how it is going with them.

Being a student mentor and encourage them to stay in class aids in rentention. Give test study sheets helps to focus what to study for exams.

Both class or online the students have to have questions answered quickly to enhance the learning process. Let us remember when we were in class how probemtic life was for us.

I think if you can have groups with different age members it will add to the insight of each member. The young ones can get a weath of knowledge from the older students and vice a versa!

When time permits I would like to have a brief one-on-one with learners to assess when there is a need for extra help. 

Also let them know of open door policy with times for appointments.

it is my experience that understanding students frustration decrease learning. life's stressors is another factor that decrease rentention.

I found it interesting that this module really broke down the different challenges that students face, and how we can help respond to those in a way that is supportive and understanding. It helped give me a new perspective on this issue that I can use in the future. 

Learning why students are in your class helps you to better facilitate their learning. You have to know what makes them tick!

Allowing the students to speak about their experiences and goals can be very beneficial in keeping their interest.

Sign In to comment