Understanding Student Characteristics | Origin: ED102
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Student Retention Methods --> Understanding Student Characteristics
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
Understanding student characteristics has helped me recognize that every student brings different experiences, learning styles, strengths, challenges, and goals into the classroom. As an instructor, it is important to understand these differences and create an environment where students feel supported, respected, and motivated to learn.
I intend to apply this by getting to know my students individually, paying attention to how they learn and respond to instruction, and adjusting my teaching methods when needed. I also want to encourage students to ask questions, stay engaged, and take ownership of their progress. In a hands-on welding environment, understanding each student’s needs can help me provide better demonstrations, feedback, and opportunities for additional practice.
My goal is to build positive relationships with students while maintaining clear expectations and accountability. I believe that when students feel that their instructor cares about their success, they are more likely to stay engaged and continue working toward completing their program.
Refine your ED102 discussion post
Shorten for a discussion board
Make it more personal
Asana
Plan every project your way
Use templates to plan and launch faster. Try Asana for free.
Ad
More options
Understanding that each student is different, with different experiences, and different ways of learning helps to create better instruction for each student.
Student's past experiences and how they relate to the current subject matter is important for the learning process to take place. If will allow them to have a deeper understanding of the subject matter. Furthermore, hearing those experiences will help classmates gain a deeper understanding.
This first part discusses some characteristics of the students we will see in our classrooms. One of the concepts that some professors do not take into consideration in an university setting that handles a variety of different students is the difference in the ages among the cohort. The age factor brings a whole different aspect for each of the students on how they mingle with each other, and fears are different too. This could contribute to frustrations while they are in the program. One of the most important things we can do for the students is to assist them with developing their support system not only here on campus but potentially outside support as well.
Understanding individual intrinsic motivations is KEY to being able to speak their language. For example, "those of you with growing children, won't have them at home forever. Your goals need to surpass being a parent to home aged children"
IT IS IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTANDING OUR STUDENTS BACKGROUND IN ORDER TO KNOW WHERE THE NEED IS TO IMPROVE IN OUR OWN TEACHING ABILITY.
In this lesson I learned effective strategies to understanding how to work with students from different backgrounds.
This module provided great insight into recognizing different student learning styles, motivations, and backgrounds. My goal is to apply what i learned to help my approach and accommodate different needs, ensuring clear communication, and creating a supportive learning environment that helps every student stay engaged and succeed. I try to show my joy to teach by listening and acting on what i learned.
I have learned that the students are very diverse, and all have seperate needs. It is best to keep an open mind, because you never know what a person is going through and it could be affecting their school performance.
One of my biggest takeaways from the Understanding Student Characteristics module was the emphasis on how each individual student brings something unique and valuable to the learning environment. We all have our own assumptions and experiences that shape who we are and how we see the world. It's a great thing to share and learn from the perspectives of others who have traveled a different path.
The most important thing I learned about in this module is that many adult learners could be starting over in a new career and may have mixed feelings about this. During instruction, I will try to connect their prior experience to their prospective career in order to promote confidence.
I feel as though something I do well is to see the lab from the students' eyes. I in the past few years was in trade school as well, so I know how it feels to be in their shoes. I learned that it is important to encourage and motivate your student, but also to recognize they have expectations that they expect to be met. It is our responsibility to make sure those expectations are met and exceeded. My goal is for my students to go home feeling like they learned at least one thing every class.
I think understanding that each student based on age, ethnicity, cultural background, personality, etc. gives us the opportunity to expand our own teaching techniques. No two students are the same and should not be assumed that 1 way fits all but, also helping the students understand the standard and proper expectations for the class will help mitigate difficulties when they arise.
Understanding student characteristics is an important part of student retention because every student enters a program with different experiences, goals, challenges, and motivations. Taking the time to understand why a student chose the program and what they hope to accomplish can help instructors provide the right support throughout their education.
I intend to apply this by getting to know my students beyond just their academic performance. If a student begins struggling with attendance, assignments, confidence, or practical skills, understanding their individual situation can help me determine the best way to support them. Some students may need additional instruction, while others may simply need encouragement, clearer expectations, or help seeing how their training connects to their future career.
In a career-focused program, I also think it is important to remind students of the reason they started and the opportunities available to them after completing their training. Building relationships, communicating regularly, and recognizing each student's individual needs can help keep students engaged and motivated through the challenges of the program.
It is important to get to know and understand each student's background, challenges, why they chose education at this time, their fears and what encourages them to stay on the path they chose. Assisting the student work through personal and impersonal challenges, addressing concerns and help the student prepare for a career in the field they chose.
I really liked the advice to view the lab space through the eyes of the student. I have been trying to incorporate more elements that make students feel welcome and comfortable while also working to modernize the space so they feel they are receiving the best possible learning experience. At the same time, treating the classroom and laboratory as a simulated worksite, where students are expected to follow real-world standards and requirements, can help them develop the discipline, professionalism, and work habits they will need for positive career growth.
I liked the advice to see the lab space through the eyes of the student. I have been trying to incorporate more items to make the students feel welcome. We have also been trying to modernize the space as well so the students feel like they are getting the best experience.
I have just learned that in discovering the individuals in the class backgrounds that I can fine tune the curriculum to better suit the students through knowledge/experience sharing. This will also help the students with class participation.
Finding out what motivates your students, why they are taking your class, and best ways to help them succeed are all equally important to being a good teacher.