Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Activities | Origin: ED107

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating an Accelerated Learning Environment --> Learning Activities

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Accelerated learning is sometimes misinterpreted as cramming. Sometimes it is, if it is just cobbled together in a pile of facts.  But it can work if the design and pacing of the course is meticulously honed.  In order for it to be effective however, the learning structure cannot, must not, conflict with how the brain learns. The concept of having a maximum of three items at a time comes to mine.  I am also reminded of the concept of bridging from the known to the unknown.   If computer games have taught us anything about learning, it is this.  Establish a level one foundation and don't let them move to level 2 until level 1 is completely mastered.  Then bridge the learner from level 1 into level 2.  Guiding learning through a carefully created scaffolding of both linear and non-linear objectives creates the foundation for critical thinking to be nurtured.

I agree with Mr. Taylor.

I think you need as good foundation.

I also agree = good summary

Seth Soronnadi

Learned that; "The most important audit of an activity is to ensure that it is aligned to the learning objectives."

Great synopsis by Mr. Taylor!

The Triune Brain is composed of the neocortex, limbic, and reptilian

Competing theories on these ideas exist, but interesting terminology to express what has been articulated in other ways elsewhere. 

Teaching  with games and simulators  can help enhance  the learners education.

Students may need to take a break and reflect on what is learned during the course time.

I love teaching using the MI's and Learning styles. It is more work up front, but I believe the kids can show more of what they learned because it's their style, not mine.

The importance of using games to to make learning more fun is a good way to help students remember information. 

Considering the types of learnign activities in my class should be linked to my every day learning objectives. I should make sure to include activities that stimulate the brain in different ways. 

I have simulations built into the class but I want to try some games like jeopardy. I have learned how someone can learn in this way 

I can echo that.  I have used Jeopardy and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire for content review.   I typically break the class into three or four groups and the group gets to collaborate on the answer.  For that reason, the 'buzzer' time is extended.

Making sure students are learning and engaged by stimulating activities 

It is very important to incorporate the different learning styles into how you deliver your content. I can't just utilize one because not all students learn the same. I have been trying to figure out how to change things up, and this information has been a great help!

Excellent lesson.

Having games, like Jeopardy helps the students to stay engaged and learn the subject.

Simulations are great learning activities for all different type of learners.

Sign In to comment