Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Organizing Student Learning Groups | Origin: ED106

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Enhancing Student Learning --> Organizing Student Learning Groups

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have learned the importance of group learning.

Stting groups of around 6 to 8 members is ideal for the best development of this learning tool.

This will allow students to interact with each other and learn to possible strengths that each one of them will bring to the group.

Also about monitoring the class and its importance.

The importance of student monitoring. Also, to use groups that are diverse and no more than 6-8 students in size. 

I have always useed group learning for hands on activities. Large scale construction projects need a crew to do the job and my focus is to make sure that everyone in my class becomes a foreperson, at least once. Once the forepeople are picked, they are able to pick the crew. However, as the instructor, I have veto power over any pick to prevent crews being populated by the same people over and over again. One other way to get diversity in each group is to have the forepeople pick one person at a time, Typically, with a few rules set before the crews are pickedd, the crews formed are balanced and have a new combination of people.

Diverisity in groups of 6-8 will give the best results. Do not let one student take over. Have the groups assign a task to each student.

When creating groups, unless it is an advanced class, students should not be picking their own groups. As an instructor, it is your job to consider individual student's strengths and weaknesses and to group them based on this to provide everyone with the opportunity to be successful and put forth good work.

Seth Soronnadi

Learned that it is a good practice to; "Give the groups a simple assignment in the beginning, so they can practice working together in a low-risk environment."

A way to prevent students' "feelings of disparity" is to assign each group member an operation or contribution that interconnects with the work of other group members. 

PUtting students in groups can be a form of self-monitoring.

Grouping students is an effective way of learning. I always use this method in my teaching annd result is always enormous.

I've learned how to  put and not  to put students  in a group. 

a combination of self assesment and instructor grade is a good way to evaluate group work. 

Grouping students is very effective when learning. Doing it the right way will enhance learning.

I have learned the importance of monitoring during teaching. Also I see how to put together effective groups. I feel that the best wway to form the group is to have a random selection

I have learned that group learning can be very effective. students in aa group will push each member to pull thier own weight. Having the students grade themselves can be more critical that your observation.  Use this self grading as part of you overall grade.

Putting students in groups is a mode of learning wherein everyone will have a voice and be able to discuss ideas based on personal experiences and knowledge and skills.

Be sure that you are monitoring students in the classroom on an equal basis. Don't focus too long on any one student, especially the ones who are extremely eager to answer questions, as those are the ones you will probably naturally gravitate towards. we must remember to treat all students with equal attention and respect.

When putting students into groups, aim for group diversity. Don't lump all of the top students together. Mix up the groups with overachievers, and people who are struggling a bit. This will help everyone involved, as the better students will get more experience through helping the ones who are taking longer to learn.

I love learning groups I believe it helps students to connect with each other and learn from each other.

I like the concepts of consistent group usage and random groups. I have always hated groups when it comes to assignments or tasks, but like groups for sharing purposes. I feel as though group dynamics continue to present themselves regardless and often students don't feel completely comfortable with honestly rating peers who are not contributing what they should.

I have created learning groups of 5-8 students and the group was critical in the support of the weaker students, and a major confidence booster to the students who absorbed the materials quickly by constantly questioning, testing and challenging them.

Sign In to comment